cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing stand-alone master to a dual node cluster?

genesis_2_rev
Level 2
I don`t think it is possible, but wanted to find out.   I would rather just start fresh and get 2 new servers and install cluster, then NBU and then import the old catalog. 

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
EMM for clustered and non-clustered NBU is different and you cannot recover non-clustered EMM to clustered one.

Official way is here:

Document ID: 267137
http://support.veritas.com/docs/267137

DOCUMENTATION: How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.

Details:
Manual:
NetBackup DataCenter 4.5 System Administrator's Guide for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup DataCenter 4.5 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.0 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.0 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Unix, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.1 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.1 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for UNIX, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.0 System Administrator's Guide for Windows, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.0 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.5 Administrator's Guide for Windows, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.5 Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume 1, Page: N/A

Modification Type: Supplement.

Modification:
As the needs and requirements for a NetBackup environment change, it may be necessary to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one Master Server or platform to another or to combine two or more NetBackup domains to form a single domain.  

While migration and merging is possible, NetBackup Support does not have the necessary resources and experience to properly execute this process.  NetBackup Support can assist in restoring the data back to the same original platform in the event of a failed attempt, but is not equipped to assist in these sorts of activities.  To insure data integrity and seamless operation, operations of this type must be performed by Symantec Consulting Services.

Symantec Consulting Services have developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:
  • Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered master server
  • Renaming of a Master Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system
  • Un-clustering a clustered master server
Given the nature of the information stored in the NetBackup catalogs and the potential for data loss, the process of moving or merging the NetBackup catalogs from one platform to another without the assistance of Symantec Consulting Services is not supported by the NetBackup Support organization.  

Symantec Consulting Services will assist customers by determining the correct approach to take, planning the activity and executing the plan successfully with minimum disruption to the operational environment.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales representative for assistance in engaging Symantec Consulting Services.  Please note, a migration of this sort must be a part of a conscious, planned, and permanent transition, and should not be part of a disaster recovery process or any part of a disaster recovery plan.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mouse
EMM for clustered and non-clustered NBU is different and you cannot recover non-clustered EMM to clustered one.

Official way is here:

Document ID: 267137
http://support.veritas.com/docs/267137

DOCUMENTATION: How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.

Details:
Manual:
NetBackup DataCenter 4.5 System Administrator's Guide for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup DataCenter 4.5 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.0 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.0 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Unix, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.1 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.1 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for UNIX, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.0 System Administrator's Guide for Windows, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.0 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.5 Administrator's Guide for Windows, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.5 Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume 1, Page: N/A

Modification Type: Supplement.

Modification:
As the needs and requirements for a NetBackup environment change, it may be necessary to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one Master Server or platform to another or to combine two or more NetBackup domains to form a single domain.  

While migration and merging is possible, NetBackup Support does not have the necessary resources and experience to properly execute this process.  NetBackup Support can assist in restoring the data back to the same original platform in the event of a failed attempt, but is not equipped to assist in these sorts of activities.  To insure data integrity and seamless operation, operations of this type must be performed by Symantec Consulting Services.

Symantec Consulting Services have developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:
  • Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered master server
  • Renaming of a Master Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system
  • Un-clustering a clustered master server
Given the nature of the information stored in the NetBackup catalogs and the potential for data loss, the process of moving or merging the NetBackup catalogs from one platform to another without the assistance of Symantec Consulting Services is not supported by the NetBackup Support organization.  

Symantec Consulting Services will assist customers by determining the correct approach to take, planning the activity and executing the plan successfully with minimum disruption to the operational environment.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales representative for assistance in engaging Symantec Consulting Services.  Please note, a migration of this sort must be a part of a conscious, planned, and permanent transition, and should not be part of a disaster recovery process or any part of a disaster recovery plan.

Marianne
Level 6
Mouse is right - impossible to recover non-clustered EMM database to clustered EMM database (personally tried that and failed).
You MIGHT get away with a DIY solution if you are prepared to IMPORT all tapes/images.
This would require careful planning - create output of all assigned tapes on old installation.
All these tapes will be added to clustered master into a special pool that will never be used for backups (i.e. Imports). All remaining, unassigned tapes can then be added to Scratch or any other pool.
You will be able to restore your images in the clustered config, which will leave you with a phase1 import on tapes in Import pool : bpimport -create_db_info -id <mediaid>