cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exit status 50 for Shadow Copy Components - Windows 2K8

Remington
Not applicable

All,

I have a server running Windows 2008 (no R2) whose Shadow Copy Components backup is failing. 

Client: 2K8 @ 6.5.6

Master: Solaris 10 @ 6.5.3.1 (I realize that the client is uprev'd from the master.  We've been doing this for a while and have had no problems at any other site.  We won't be able to upgrade the master)

No media server

Windows open file backup was set to VSS for the failure.  I've disabled VSS, however I feel it will not buy me anything.  The backup is multistreamed, and the one data drive is backing up without issue, so the problem is only with System State.  I have yet to have the customer check the writers, so I'm wondering if this could be the problem.  Also, I've requested the bpbkar logs and I'm currently waiting to get them. 

In the meantime, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

Master: Solaris 10 @ 6.5.3.1

(I realize that the client is uprev'd from the master.  We've been doing this for a while and have had no problems at any other site.  We won't be able to upgrade the master)

I would reload the NBU client to match server version

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

Check the VSS writers first , if there is any issues with the writers then possibility of shadow copy components failure .

Try to take the system state backup through windows backup and check whether system state backup is working fine over there or not ....If you have a vss writers issue then in that also it wont work

And also verify the space allocted to shadow copy in C:\ drive . If there is a less space alloacted to shadow copy then it wont work . Atleast alloacte 2 GB to that and with differnet drive . i.e. give C:\ shaodw copy to some other drive .

j083418
Level 5

I had a similar issue, not status 50 but status 1 when trying to backup the system state on a Windows 2008 Domain Controller.

I looked at the following:

Also see this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH140077

Workaround:
If this issue is experienced while running NetBackup 6.5.6, please contact Symantec technical support, referencing this document ID and Etrack 2086686 to obtain an Emergency Engineering Binary (EEB) replacement for bpbkar32.exe for affected clients. 

If this issue is experienced while running NetBackup 7.0 or 7.0.1, please contact Symantec technical support, referencing this document ID and Etrack 2085561 to obtain an EEB replacement bundle for affected clients.

For other versions of NetBackup, please contact Symantec technical support to determine EEB availability.

I contacted symentec support and they sent me the replacement bpbkar32.exe file and it's worked fine since then.

Hope this helps

Will_Restore
Level 6

Master: Solaris 10 @ 6.5.3.1

(I realize that the client is uprev'd from the master.  We've been doing this for a while and have had no problems at any other site.  We won't be able to upgrade the master)

I would reload the NBU client to match server version