cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiences with 6.5.2?

bak
Level 4
We are currently running NetBackup 6.5.1 on HP-UX 11.31 and have been having stability problems (failing to fork processes).  We were hoping that 6.5.2 would be more stable.

Have the people who have upgraded to 6.5.2 had any problems?  Is this release stable for you?  Please post OS and App release levels.
10 REPLIES 10

Daryle
Level 2
DO NOT go to MP2 yet? - it is not ready.  I am running 2003r2SP2.  I had to back it out.  it has scheduling problems among other things.  they are going to release an A and a B some time in the new few weeks to try and take care of some of the problems.  if you are not having problems I wouldn't do it.

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
do you have any information from support ?
marekk

MWoody
Level 2
We upgraded to 6.5.2 from 6.5.1. We are have several problems with 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 was supports answer to these problems. The upgrade was easy but many jobs would not becoming active or even show up in the activity monitor. Luckily the uninstall of 6.5.2 was just as easy as the install. We have been told that 6.5.2a should be released this week. We will see.

Solaris 9 Maser Server
HP-UX 11.11 Media Servers

Inay
Level 4
Dear Daryle,

Thanks for the info, i was planned to upgrade my NBU 6.5.1A to NBU 6.5.2... i will wait for the A and B release...

regards,
Inay

Daryle
Level 2
Yes, I did have support from Symantec.  I believe it was Marek that asked if we had support.  They also recommend waiting about a week after A comes out and then call to see how it is going.  Good luck

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the NetBackup Admin Console GUI on Windows unable to view my Media Volume pools dialog appears to report problem with NetBackup Service Layer and connection to it.

Check the root of my master server and see a core dump.

bpps -a and see a long list of repeat nbproxy services running, more than expected.

restart netbackup on master and clears connection issues.

Within the first week had 2 policies that just did not schedule. Manual backup and thereafter scheduling OK now.

Seen some other mention of core dumps and scheduling issues also on 6.5.2

HP-UX 11.23 Master

HP-UX, Windows 2003 Media Servers

Message Edited by Stuart Green on 06-27-2008 06:48 AM

Chris_Babcock
Level 4

Here is my modified post from another 6.5.2 question thread:

Single Master/Media server on Windows 2k3 Having serious problems and going to roll back. Technical support from 3rd party says Symantec having all kinds of issues with PEM. Some of our backups did not kick off. Other kicked off at wrong times. Other kicked off AGAIN after 6 hours, but a new day AND did NOT run the next new day. This is Aa policy execution manager issue. Suppoasedly Symantec completely redesigned it for 6.5.2 and it is not wokring right. When midnight hits, jobs are failing because they are not in the backup window, when the backup window is continuous. We also had a RESTORE ISSUE. A restore that should have taken 5 or 10 minutes took 3 1/2 hours!!!! Proceed with caution!!!!!!!!!!

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

"The 6.5.2A is scheduled to be released by 10th July, 2008."

I've just received this information from support

marekk

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

went from 6.5.0 on the master and 5.1.2 on the clients to 6.5.2 on both.

So far I have had no problems

AIX master/media.... windows and aix clients.

only did this at one small site - not doing anything special there.  just disk backups to tape in a library.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

There is a known bug that all the application jobs started from the client side just dont run or fail, so every Oracle, SQL, DB2, etc backups will fail, there is a bin for nbpem I will recomend to wait for 6.5.2 which will be released on July 10.

regards