cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expire images in multiple Tapes just for a specific tape.

issmag
Level 5

hello,

i need your help please,

i have one images that existe in two tapes (Tape A with Media ID : 000018 and the second tape is : 000025), the tapes are in in a same robot, but in different Media volume-Pool.

can i expire the Backup ID on the first tape, without any effect on the backup ID in the second one ??

i'm afraid to expire the Backup ID, and it's will be expire from all the support (it's a very important backup ID, with 1 year of retention).

the master is on : Linux RedHat 6.2.

Netbackup entreprise version 7.6.0.2.

thnaks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Yes, but make sure you select the correct copy number from the "copies" drop down if using the GUI.

Also note that this will remove the copy/fragment entry from the NetBackup catalog but it will not delete the image from tape - this only happens when ALL images on tape have expired, only then is the tape re-used and the images overwritten.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I assume copy 1 of this image is in one tape and copy 2 is in another tape. You can use "-copy" option in bpexpdate to change expiration date of specific copy number. bpexpdate -backupid backup_id -d date | 0 | infinity [-client name] [-copy number] [-force] [-nodelete] [-not-immediate [-force_not_complete] [-do_not_follow_dependee] [-M master_server,...]

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yasuhisa is correct about the copy number being what you are looking for.

If you really want to protect one of these images take the tape out of the robot. Use the hard write protect tab on the tape. Then send the tape offsite in a safe location.

If your data is critical you should have an off-site copy. In fact, you might want to keep both tapes. One on-site and one off-site.

issmag
Level 5

thanks for your reply,

if i choose the  image under catalog for the frist tape (Tape A with Media ID : 000018), and right click and i click on expire !! this will expire just the image on this tape ? without any effect on the image on the seconde tape ??

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Yes, but make sure you select the correct copy number from the "copies" drop down if using the GUI.

Also note that this will remove the copy/fragment entry from the NetBackup catalog but it will not delete the image from tape - this only happens when ALL images on tape have expired, only then is the tape re-used and the images overwritten.

issmag
Level 5

thaks for your reply :)