cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiring SLP images early

crsgardner
Not applicable

What is the recommended way to expire storage lifecycle policy images early?  I have the following SLP:

Backups go to device 1

Device 1 duplicates to device 2

I don't have as much space on device 2, so I want to expire some of the images there early.  If I do this manually through the Catalog GUI, would that be ok?  Is NetBackup going to attempt to copy the images again from device 1 to 2 after I delete the images on 2?  Is there a better way to do this?

Chris

3 REPLIES 3

Sebastian_Baszc
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hey Mate,

Yes, that's the way to do that and no - SLP will not duplicate the image again. Once the SLP duplicates the image, it removes it from the queue and marks it "complete".

Hope it helps.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your image retention should be dictated by business recovery needs, not by space on devices. Use the limited space and business needs as motivation to purchase storage.

I know this is not answering your question, but I am quite passionate about retention requirements and the fact that users WILL require a restore one day after images have been expired...

What do your image retentions look like on the two devices? The 'standard' practice is that device 2 have longer retention periods than device 1. This means that if you want to expire 'older' images on device 2 that the images on device 1 no longer exist, right? Leaving nothing to be re-submitted?

Also, once images have been duplicated successfully, the SLP status will be flagged as completed and will not be re-submitted.

David_McMullin
Level 6

"Your image retention should be dictated by business recovery needs, not by space on devices. Use the limited space and business needs as motivation to purchase storage."

Or write to tape or deduplicate.