cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAQ NetBackup 6.5 Release Notes

Stumpr2
Level 6
NetBackup 6.5 BETA version of the Symantec Veritas NetBackup (tm) Release Notes for UNIX, Windows, and Linux (last updated 2/16/2007)

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/287075.htmMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump
18 REPLIES 18

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Install now for the brave and fool hardy.

DavidParker
Level 6
Nice catch, Bob =)

Stumpr2
Level 6
Be afraid!
Be VERY afraid!!

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Thank you Bob!

This is really helpful for planning purposes. I am looking forward to get VTL direct to tape functionality.

Stumpr2
Level 6
A blue ribbon for you!

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
THANKS for the blue ribbon!!

Let me know your thought on new features.

DavidParker
Level 6
Congrats Rakesh!

I hope we keep seeing excellent posts from you =)

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Congratulations keep on truckin

Glen_Harrison
Level 4
6.5 yikes!

I'm still seeing my shrink weekly to deal with the trauma of the 5.X to 6.0MP4 upgrade I just completed

Colin_North
Level 6
Hi Bob,
The link http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/287075.htm no longer works Smiley Sad

Have you got a copy of this document or an alternative link? I've searched the Symantec site but couldn't find it.

Thanks, Colin.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Rakesh,
Can you supply?

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
At this time, NetBackup 6.5 Beta release is only available to registered beta customers and for the same reason all downloads/manuals have been removed from external web. Please contact your Symantec Sales rep and he/she should be able to provide you requested documents.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Dang, I shoulda downloaded before they discovered their mistake ;)

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
Is no one on this list registered for Beta?

Chad_Wansing_2
Level 3
I'm actually very much looking forward to NBU 6.5.  I know many of you seem to have had problems with your 6.0 and 6.0 MP4 environments, but the migrations for me from 5.1 to 6.0 and from 6.0 to 6.0 MP4 went perfectly, solved MANY of the issues I was having previously, and implemented quite a few new features I put to use quite regularly.  The release of 6.5 actually times quite well for us, as we're getting ready to start assessing VTL's in the near future.

Bill_Liston
Level 4
I downloaded the pdf a while back. let me know if you want me to e-mail it to you or if there is someplace I could upload it to.
Bill

Randy_Samora
Level 6
Are we still not recommending the upgrade from 5.1?  Tell me now before I make that leap of faith.  I have one DR site with a small (8GB) database that I was going to use as a guinea pig before attempting my main installation (500GB).  Another thought at the main site was to just start over with a new Master on 6.x and leave the old 5.1 up and running in case i need a restore.

Can someone share some timelines with me as far as how long it takes to upgrade?  I've heard horror stories about the database upgrade taking a couple of days for a database much smaller than mine.  Is that true?

Maybe I should wait for version 7 :)

Thanks,
Randy

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6

Randy Samora wrote:
Are we still not recommending the upgrade from 5.1?  Tell me now before I make that leap of faith.  I have one DR site with a small (8GB) database that I was going to use as a guinea pig before attempting my main installation (500GB).  Another thought at the main site was to just start over with a new Master on 6.x and leave the old 5.1 up and running in case i need a restore.

Can someone share some timelines with me as far as how long it takes to upgrade?  I've heard horror stories about the database upgrade taking a couple of days for a database much smaller than mine.  Is that true?

Maybe I should wait for version 7 :)

Thanks,
Randy

No, that is not true (at least in my experience).

If you upgrade to 6.0 MP4 (and nothing less than that) you should be fine.  Our conversion to MP2 worked OK, and pretty quick, but was bug-ridden.  The bugs are mostly gone with MP4.

If I were you, I'd wait for the 6.5 release (which, IMNSHO, is what 6.0 should have been).  Should be out this summer.