cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facing Issue while fullbackup

john10
Level 6

Hello All,

My Netbackup Server(Master/Media/Client same), was not responding during fullbackup(not able to RDP the server and access the shared drives), but coming to incrementals it was ok, could any one suggest me to fix this issue.

NBU version:-7.0

total size on D drive is 1.08TB and the data siz on D drive is 210GB.

RAM size 8GB.

Thanks in Advance.

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

This does not sound like a a Netbackup issues - more likley a OS or hardware isssue.

• Check the amount of free memory during full backup
  • Check if the NIC has problems - load test in both directions.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Nicolai.

How many simultaneous jobs during full backup?

How many tape drives simultaneously in use?

What else is running on this server?
Have you checked if there is a scheduled AV scan while full backups are running?
Or any other scheduled tasks?

Have you tried to RDP to the server before the backup starts and monitor resources when backups start?

Have a look at this TN that deals with performance issues when NBU servers do local backups:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH145791

john10
Level 6

Hello Nicolai/Marianne,

Thanks for your suggestions, and below are the answers,

• Check the amount of free memory during full backup
  • The server is having nearly 800 GB free space.
  • Check if the NIC has problems - load test in both directions
  • The Tape drive is connected to server directly, and there is no Switch between tape drive and server, in this case also does the NIC effects? and the NIC is set to "Auto"

But my concern is "C" drive full backup is runnning fine with out any issue, but coming to D drive only the server is facing Load, but only the full backup data is not more than 220 GB.

How many simultaneous jobs during full backup?

Only "C & D" data drives are backup happening at that time.

How many tape drives simultaneously in use?

Only 1 stand-alone TPD in use.

What else is running on this server?

The server is file server using only for Backup only, no applications running on it .

Have you checked if there is a scheduled AV scan while full backups are running?
Or any other scheduled tasks?

AV is enabled on the server when i checked now, but not sure its scaning at the time of backup, and no other scheduled taks on the server.

Have you tried to RDP to the server before the backup starts and monitor resources when backups start?

No i havent tried to RDP the server before the full backup starts.

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

Hi John,

When we say memory , its not the hard disk space in question but the RAM available a the time of backup . higher the memory utilisation at the time of the backup, the more the lag on the on server running..

Also , setting NIC to "auto"  is discouraged in Netbackup. please set that to the FULL DUPLEX

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You did not comment on the TN in my post?

Please work through the suggestions in the doc as well as Microsoft KB articles referenced in the TN.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

8GB is likely way to little for both Netbackup and file sharing services to run sufficient. Alone NBU uses 2GB per processor.

Is Windows get low on memory is start to swap aggressive and the system can appear not to respond - it does but very very slow.

Try to start the resource monitor in windows and see how much free memory is available during a backup. Monitoring swap file activity at the same will add needed info.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Lots of factors can come into play here and often memory related

8GB does not sound like anywhere near enough for what you are doing

The server should also be tuned for paged memory, desktop heap, number of TCPIP ports and TcpTimedWaitDelay - any of these not being right could cause the server to become unresponsive when under load if not tuned