cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File restore with NBU Auto Image Replication methodology

alokjha
Level 3

Hello friends,

I am getting stuck in the last step of setting up Netbackup AIR in my environment; I am looking for ideas/suggestions.

Using Netbackup 7.5.0.4 and DataDomain 5.4.0.8 (OST plugin 2.6.2,0) on both primary and remote masters. Had no problems setting up disk pools, storage unit, SLPs on both sides (details provided below). 

slp1.png

And on the remote side, the SLP looks as follows (both SLPs are named identically)

slp2.png

I can run backups for clients on the primary side with the corresponding SLP as the storage policy. After the backup job finished, I ran the following  

"nbstlutil list -copy_type replica -U -copy_incomplete"

"nbstlutil list -copy_type replica -U -copy_state 3"

to verify that the copy was in process at first and then complete a little later. 

With all that out of the way, I was feeling pretty good about being able to just go to Backup, Archive, Restore on the remote side and search for the backup I ran minutes ago and restore a token file. Except that I am not seeing that backup show up on the remote side. Any ideas?

On the remote side, prior to setting up disk pool/STU for AIR, I had an environment that is a full catalog restore from the primary side from a couple days ago. Is the fact that I am trying to set up AIR on top of a earlier catalog restore messing with my AIR set up?

Is my import job on the remote side not kicking? Is there a way to test that?

Do I need to start with just a fresh Netbackup install and nothing in the NBDB before trying to set up AIR? 

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you did a catalog recovery does that mean the remote Master has the same name as the primary?

If so this just is not going to work - not sure how they both exist on the network anyway?

The remote site should be a totally different Netbackup domain - different Master server name etc.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you did a catalog recovery does that mean the remote Master has the same name as the primary?

If so this just is not going to work - not sure how they both exist on the network anyway?

The remote site should be a totally different Netbackup domain - different Master server name etc.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

On the remote side, prior to setting up disk pool/STU for AIR, I had an environment that is a full catalog restore from the primary side from a couple days ago. 

I agree with Mark - this is not going to work.

You need 2 totally independent masters with different hostnames.

Remove remote installation, check that hostnames are different, install NBU again and restart config of disk pools and SLPs.

alokjha
Level 3

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the post. Yes, the remote master has the same exact name as the source master. 

But - these two environments are on completely different networks and the remote site has its own private domain that it does not share with the source. 

The only thing that ties the two environments is a ddboost association on the DataDomain servers on either end that recognizes the volumes as replication source and target respectively.

Is it stil a requirement that master server names be different? 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU master server names must be different.

Please have a look at this post:

Step by step guide for AIR on DataDomain 

alokjha
Level 3

Thank you for your time and assistance with my question. Both Mark and Marianne.

Mark for pointing out that AIR imports won't work with same hostname for the master onn source and destination sides. Marianne for pointing out that I need to start with a fresh install after renaming the host. 

The DataDomain boost for OpenStorage 2.6 admin guide is a very good document that desribes how to set up AIR; the step by step guide was quite useful also. But I'd always get hung up on the import. 

Changing the hostname on the destination master totally took care of that issue for me (followed by a fresh install of NBU and diskpool etc setup)

Once again, thanks guys!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Glad you are all sorted out - and thanks for updating us