cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find LTO4 Tapes and compression level

raj08
Level 4

Hi All,

This question might be pretty lame as this is basic question but I am not aware of. I need to know how to list all LTO4 tapes in my netbackup master (I believe vmquery or bpmedialist would help) but not able to get the exact command options. Also how do I find if Hardware level compression is enabled on tapes?

Regards,

RAJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NetBackup cannot tell if your tapes are LTO4 - it only knows then by its built in density.

If you know that all of your LTO3 tapes were HCART and all LTO4 tapes were HCART2 then maybe we can help with that one

Also, I am afraid, it cannot tell if hardware compression is enabled on the tape drives as that is done at the firmware level

You can get a clue if your backups write more to a tape than its native capacity but that is about it

Sorry not be be of more help but both things are outside of NBU control (apart possibly the NCART thing)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

How do you have your LTO4 tapes defined?

Are they HCART, HCART2, HCART3?

You can run bpmedialist -d hcart   ... and then it depends on the format of the output you want.

You should check with the drive manufacturer to see the compression.  By default if you are not using software compression/encryption then you're probably getting hardware compression.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NetBackup cannot tell if your tapes are LTO4 - it only knows then by its built in density.

If you know that all of your LTO3 tapes were HCART and all LTO4 tapes were HCART2 then maybe we can help with that one

Also, I am afraid, it cannot tell if hardware compression is enabled on the tape drives as that is done at the firmware level

You can get a clue if your backups write more to a tape than its native capacity but that is about it

Sorry not be be of more help but both things are outside of NBU control (apart possibly the NCART thing)

Hope this helps

Will_Restore
Level 6

bpimmedia provides images on media report which tells if software compression was enabled;

hardware compression by definition occurs at the hardware level so no tape report can provide that

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hardware level compression is alwways enabled. You need to do an extra effort to disable it.

raj08
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks all for your inputs. I got some better idea about tapes. :)