cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding Expired Images

AlanTLR
Level 5

Hi,

I have a list of tapes which may or may not contain an expired image for something for which I am looking.  I know that I can import the media using bpimport (/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport -create_db_info -id $MEDIAID -server -L /tmp/bpimport.$MEDIAID), but is there a way to see what was on the tape before importing it?  Or can I just un-expire it then re-expire it?  VMquery only gives me the last mounted and I'm looking for the last policy that was used on it.

--AlanTLR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no easy way to find expired images. Thing is - they are deleted from the catalog although not deleted from tape until tape gets overwritten.

Also no 'unexpire'. The only way is level 1 and 2 import of expired tapes...

If retention levels were configured according to SLA's, you should not be required to restore from expired backups...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

i dont think you have other way to get the info,,

only bpimport is the way(unless some tech expert say no).

what do you mean by "can I just un-expire it then re-expire it?", would be better if you could reframe it.. 

Marianne
Level 6

There is no easy way to find expired images. Thing is - they are deleted from the catalog although not deleted from tape until tape gets overwritten.

Also no 'unexpire'. The only way is level 1 and 2 import of expired tapes...

If retention levels were configured according to SLA's, you should not be required to restore from expired backups...

AlanTLR
Level 5

Thanks.  SLA's are usually followed in our department, except when a director (who isn't supposed to delete ANY email) deletes something.

AlanTLR
Level 5

What do you mean "reframe it"?

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

i just wanted to understand what do you mean by just "un-expire it then re-expire" in your initial post 

Marianne
Level 6

Perfect use-case for Symantec Enterprise Vault. 

Unless you have an idea which tape has the expired image, your only way to find it will be to start with Phase I imports...

AlanTLR
Level 5

We already have a license for Symantec Enterprise Vault (for Exchange, even), but they say it's not worth paying for it, or allocating resources to it, even after events like this.

I disagree with them, btw.