cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashbackup - Windows vs Snapshot

Stanleyj
Level 6
I was wondering if someone could possibly explain the difference between a flashbackup - windows policy vs the ms-windows with snapshot enabled? I am currently using the ms windows with snapshots on a file server and was just curiouse the differece incase i could get better performance out of the flashbackup - windows. Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Extract from Snapshot Client Admin Guide:

"Flashbackup Combines the speed of raw-partition backups with the ability to restore individual files."

This option is aimed at file systems that contain millions of small files. This reduces 'walking the file system' overhead during backup.

The entire raw device is backed up, even if file system is near empty. So - this option works better for file systems that are close to full.

Hope this helps?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6

Extract from Snapshot Client Admin Guide:

"Flashbackup Combines the speed of raw-partition backups with the ability to restore individual files."

This option is aimed at file systems that contain millions of small files. This reduces 'walking the file system' overhead during backup.

The entire raw device is backed up, even if file system is near empty. So - this option works better for file systems that are close to full.

Hope this helps?

Stanleyj
Level 6
This sounds similar to how backup exec takes images of entire volumes. But what is the real difference between a snapshot and flash backup. Which one is better for a 200gb network share?

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Flashbackup-Windows can only be used for local volumes/disks