Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashbackup snapshot error 156

blanco_adalbert
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello everybody,

I would like to ask for a suggestion regarding windows flashbackup backups and restores.

I have to backup and restore a system with a millions of little files (this is a characteristic of the application running on the server).

Description of the enviroment:

1 Mastar / Media server Redhat

1 media server Redhat

1 Windows server Client with 3 disk volume drive units which the size every unit is 3TB

Backup type: Windows Flashbackup 

The backups have been working successfuly until the April 22th.  The april 23th the server stops because storage problems. I found that one of the volume drive is up to 99% (20 GB free space of 2.99 TB).

When I run the backup i got the error 156 snapshot error. I found out the technote NetBackup VSS snapshot error encountered (156) at https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH75214.html.

I took the full volume drive off from the backup selection and the backup works without that volume.

I have been asked to thake the backup from that volume before purge or move the information. Then I created another policy only with the full volumne drive in order to thake the backup but i still gettin the 156 error.

Does any body have suggestions to this problem?

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unfortunately we have to rely on VSS to perform the backup. You can try and move the shadowstorage area for the failing drive to another using vssadmin

vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=<ForVolumeSpec> /on=<OnVolumeSpec> [/maxsize=<MaxSizeSpec>]

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unfortunately we have to rely on VSS to perform the backup. You can try and move the shadowstorage area for the failing drive to another using vssadmin

vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=<ForVolumeSpec> /on=<OnVolumeSpec> [/maxsize=<MaxSizeSpec>]