cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat files consistent backup required which keep busy and being updated in Unix

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I have a main folder with plenty of folders and files on Linux Red Hat and Solaris OS. All files are critical. These files keep updating every next minute and sometimes update even every next second. Means few files are being used continuous and few are idle. How can I take the consistent backup of flat files means when I trigger the backup at that stage my all files are on same pitch like if I have 500 files and Netbackup taking a backup of one file mean while the other files growing I don’t want this.

What I want is when Netbackup trigger the backup and at that time all files size is 10mb so the 10mb will be the size of all files after backup and I don’t want like one file have a size of 10MB while other file size is 12MB or another have 15MB after backup.

Kindly advice               

File systems may be

• UFS2
  • EXT3
  • Vxfs                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Zahid,

The best way to take a consistent backup in this situation is to use Snapshot client. For Solaris client, nbu_snap is a convenient copy on write snap driver bundled with NetBackup. For VxFS (both Solaris and Linux), you can use VxFS_Snapshot or VxFS_Checkpoint snapshot types. I would recommend using VxFS_Checkpoint as it does not require a cache partition. For ext3, you don't have a file system based snapshot option, if your backend storage array supports snapshots you can use that method.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Zahid,

The best way to take a consistent backup in this situation is to use Snapshot client. For Solaris client, nbu_snap is a convenient copy on write snap driver bundled with NetBackup. For VxFS (both Solaris and Linux), you can use VxFS_Snapshot or VxFS_Checkpoint snapshot types. I would recommend using VxFS_Checkpoint as it does not require a cache partition. For ext3, you don't have a file system based snapshot option, if your backend storage array supports snapshots you can use that method.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Thanks Abdul Rasheed for your kind reply. I am marking your post as solution