cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Four (4) Hcart tape drives

YGS
Not applicable
Hello All ,

I have in my tape library  LTO 3 , 9940B and T10000A Tape drives cofigured as  HCART , HCART2 and HCART3 .
Now i need to use T10000B tape drive with the other three  and i have no more HCART types .

is there any way to get the 4 1/2'' cartridges working on netbackup 6.5.3 ? 

Is there any way to create an "HCART4" or map the new drive to another type ?

Thanks in advance .

4 REPLIES 4

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
when you tell it that your tape is hcart3 or your tape drive is hcart3 it is only a lable that it wants to match.  Meaning the tape type and drive type have to match - you could say both here dlt and it woudl still work.

So if you only have LTO3 tapes and LTO4 tapes then you are in good shape.

has Lto4 tape drives work with LTO3 tapes.

but if you want to keep the seperate.

your LTO3 tapes would be of type Hcart3  - have tape drives setup as type hcart3 and they will work.

Now if you have NO LTO1 tapes   just make make the tape drive type HCART and make a tape drive HCART and the two will work fine.

However if you have LTO1 tapes then you have to have the HCART for those tape drives.

so look at what tapes you have and what drives types you need and see if you can work it out.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
you can easily use any of the HCART toye for the fourth half inch cartridge as long as your drives are in logically seperated partitions. BUT if you have these different drives under same partitions then you have problem. You will have to be very careful  on how you manage the media.

There is no HCART4 available and no, you can't use a half inch cartridge drive as dlt or 8mm type.

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What is the purpose of new T10K-B drives? Space or encryption?

If you are only looking for space, it's not a problem at all, because T10K-A tapes are compatible with T10K-B drives for reading and writing, so you can swap your T10K-A drives with B-drives and use old tapes with old label as HCART3.

Of course if you want to use all of them (LTO3, 9940B, T10K-A, T10K-B) at the same time and as separate groups, you need to pick some another label, but it seems you are running out of them

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Just a addition to J.Hinchcliffe post.

Since you have both STK 9940B and STK T10000A & B drives I assume you have a ACSLS connect library. You may need to make a media mapping in vm.conf in order to make the previous suggestion to work.

Please look in the Veritas NetBackup Administrator’s Guide, Volume I page 566  (Media Type Mappings tab).

This is a cut'n paste from the NBU adm volume II

ACS_mediatype:

ACS_mediatype = Media_Manager_mediatype
This configuration entry applies only to NetBackup Enterprise Server
If this entry is used in vm.conf, the ACS media type is mapped to the specified Media Manager media type. You can specify more than one ACS_mediatype entry.
This entry is read and interpreted on the host on which vmcheckxxx and vmupdaterun during a robot inventory operation. Use this entry on every NetBackup media server that functions as an ACS robot control host.
For a list of the valid ACS_mediatype entries, see “Media Type Mappings tab” in the NetBackup Administrator’s Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I.