Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequency Schedule query

Ridha
Level 3
Hi

My question is simple.

Under schedule policy details the frequency for my policy is set to 1 Days.

I would like to know whether this is 1 day after the backups have been initiated or 1 day after the backups are complete?

Kind Regards
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6
1 day from when it started.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Stumpr2
Level 6
1 day from when it started.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
I know I'm bringing up an old thread here, but it fits my question perfectly, just does not answer it completely.

When Stumpr says "from when it st arted,"  does Netbackup consider the "Active Start Time" or does in include the time a backup is queued.

My concern is that, say we have a frequency of 1 day, with an 8 hour backup window scheduled to start at 6 PM.  The backup kicks off, but is queued for four hours, thus the "Active Start Time" is 8 PM.  Will the next days backup not look to start until 8 PM?  And then what if it queued up for an hour after that, pushing the next day's backup to 9?  

I'm just wondering if this is a possibility.

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Of course Bob Strump is FAR MOR EXPERIENT than me.. I'm just thinking about it .. no documentation.

imagine that some backup have the elapsed time 26 hrs.

Will net backup start another job without the end of the first one?

I think that is start counting at the end of the backup.

Thinking again.

if it stats couting at the start of the backup it will respect the backup window

rjrumfelt
Level 6
I checked out the pretty good technotes that Symantec has on the algorithms used to calculate frequency based schedules, but A) It looks like they are specific to 6.5.4, and B) They still do not mention if they use the start time, including time spend queued, or "Active Start Time" to figure out when to run the next backup.

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Imagine that a backup have to run everyday 18:00 hrs... and something made it stay queued for 3 hrs, so it started as 21:00,  next day it will start at 21:00?

I don't think so,  I think that when U schedolle the backup, it will keep stating at the begining.

Strump was right

rjrumfelt
Level 6
But I could not find anything in the documentation that confirmed it.

Mike_Gavrilov
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/331912.htm

Luc_H
Level 3
To clarify a little:

The "day" frequency interval works in a special way; i.e. a frequency of 1 day does not necessarily equal 24 hours.

The 1 day frequency tells NetBackup to allow the backup to run from the start of the backup window on the following day (and so forth), even if only 20 hours have elapsed since the backup last ran.

On the other hand, if you set the frequency to 23 hours for example, then 23 hours will have to have elapsed before the backup will become due.

I hope this helps.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Only if your backups is successful will reschedule, if fails it will not affect the scheduling.

Marianne
Level 6
I've just done a test:
Start time: 11:17:21  (queued)
Active Start: 11:23:14

# bpimagelist -client mvdberg -U
Backed Up         Expires       Files       KB  C  Sched Type   Policy
----------------  ---------- -------- --------  -  ------------ ------------
10/29/2009 11:23  11/05/2009     1676  6468669  N  User Backup  mvdb

Stumpr2
Level 6
Marianne,
What is the ctime attached to the image name?

# bpdbm -ctime xxxxxxxxxx

Luc_H
Level 3
bpsched used to assign the backupid as the backup was queued. Now nbjm assigns it the moment resouces become available and the job goes active.

So the backup time in the image would reflect the "Active start" time.

Luc.

Marianne
Level 6
# bpimagelist -idonly -client mvdberg
Time: Thu Oct 29 11:23:14 2009   ID: mvdberg_1256808194   UBAK (2)

# bpdbm -ctime 1256808194
1256808194 = Thu Oct 29 11:23:14 2009

= Active Start

Stumpr2
Level 6
Luc_H,
Yes, I believe you are correct as of NetBackup 6.5.
Another thing that has changed since 6.5, (I've been told but have not tested) is that manual backups no longer effect frequency.

Marianne, while your testing can you also test to see if manually initiated backups no longer effect frequency in 6.5?

Marianne
Level 6
Hi Bob
I did a user backup today as a test. Unfortunately I do not have regular schedules in my little lab.
From experience (supporting many end customers), manual backups still affect frequency based schedules.
The main question remains: has enough time elapsed since the last backup for this schedule?