cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good docs on VTLs please.

Soumyaa
Level 4

Hi All,

Can someone please forward me any good docs for reference to get knowledge on VTLs and hwo to configure them in Netbackup. I appreciate your responce. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Configuring them in NBU is the same as any other robotic tape library.

Most VTL vendors have their own recommendations w.r.t. configuration.
All recommendations that I have seen is to NOT share virtual tape drives and NOT use multiplexing.

Symantec documentation includes Device Compatibility Guide - under 'Virtual Tape Libraries/Drives' there is a list of 20 points to take note of.

Another Symantec doc is this WhitePaper: http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_using_virtual_tape_libraries_with_netbackup_04-2009.en-us.pdf

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

Configuring them in NBU is the same as any other robotic tape library.

Most VTL vendors have their own recommendations w.r.t. configuration.
All recommendations that I have seen is to NOT share virtual tape drives and NOT use multiplexing.

Symantec documentation includes Device Compatibility Guide - under 'Virtual Tape Libraries/Drives' there is a list of 20 points to take note of.

Another Symantec doc is this WhitePaper: http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_using_virtual_tape_libraries_with_netbackup_04-2009.en-us.pdf

Soumyaa
Level 4

Thanks Marianne for that very useful WP.

How do I check if my media server is configured with VTL or anything like Nearstore? Is that by going to Storage Units only or are there any commands to look at these?

I am very new to VTLs and so I just want to know if some of my Media servers are having VTLs or any other things?

Thanks.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You cannot tell in NBU if the 'library' is a VTL.

A VTL looks like a real robot to NBU (which is of course the ides).

Re Nearstor - I think you'd have to look in the storage units ...  can't think of another way, but if there is one, marianne WILL be along in a minute to point this out.

M

Marianne
Level 6

How is the 'NearStore' presented to the OS?

As disk or tape?

Your other post seems to suggest disk?

Have you checked NBU compatibility or NetApp config docs?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
see, I new Marianne would be along ...

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
see, I new Marianne would be along ...