cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP auto loader 1/8 960 Ultriium with out barcode reader

niranjana_R
Level 4
Hi,
I recently purchased a new Autoloader 1/8 and having harrowing time getting it to work with my Netbackup 5.1MP6. I came to know that there is no Barcode reader in the Autoloader and the Netbackup software recognises the Autoloader as a robotic arm and is expecting for Barcode input to identify the tapes. I would appreciate if someone can help me with information if the Autoloader does work with Netbackup 5.1MP6.
3 REPLIES 3

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Here are the steps which you must follow to do tape management in an environment in which you have a robot without or a broken barcode reader and tapes with barcodes:

NEVER, EVER, EVER INVENTORY THE ROBOT WITHOUT A FUNCTIONAL BARCODE READER!!!

When adding brand new, (out of the plastic wrap) tapes to the robot, do the following:
1. From the Media and Device Manager GUI, select Actions, New, Volumes.
2. Select the correct Media type.
3. In the Robot field, select the appropriate robot. ( If it is not in the drop-down list, click on the Find Robots button to browse for it.)
4. Set the Number of Volumes to 1.
5. Enter the exact name/number which appears on the tape's barcode.
6. Set the slot number into which you are going to inject the tape. (If the robot has a mail slot, check the Inject Volume into Robot box to have the robot move the tape into the correct slot. If no mail slot is available, insert the tape manually.)
7. Click on OK.

When moving tapes out of the robot, do the following:
1. From the Media and Device Manager GUI, right-click on the tape to be removed from the robot.
2. Select Move from the drop-down menu. The Move Volumes window will pop up.
3. In the Robot field, select Standalone.
4. Click on OK.

When moving previously-used tapes into the robot, do the following:
1. From the Media and Device Manager GUI, right-click on the tape to be added to the robot.
2. Select Move from the drop-down menu. The Move Volumes window will pop up.
3. In the Robot field, select the appropriate robot. ( If it is not in the drop-down list, click on the Find Robots button to browse for it.)
4.Set the slot number into which you are going to inject the tape. (If the robot has a mail slot, check the Inject Volume into Robot box to have the robot move the tape into the correct slot. If no mail slot is available, insert the tape manually.)
5. Click on OK

Anthony_Langdon
Level 3
This Autoloader is available in three versions:

1) a 2U device without a Barcode Reader that uses multiple SCSI ids, i.e. one id for the drive and one id for the robot
2) a 2U device without a Barcode Reader that uses a single SCSI id with multiple LUNs, i.e. one LUN for the drive and one lun for the robot.
3) a 1U device with a Barcode reader (This is known as the HP 1x8 G2 Autoloader)

Which do you have?

Items 1) and 2) are listed as compatible with NetBackup 5.1 and 6.0 in the Symantec Hardware Compatibility Lists. The G2 Autoloader isn't listed in either, but we downloaded the device_mappings.txt file for 5.1 MP6 without checking the contents of this file in MP5 and found it (the mapping file for 5.1 MP6) contained a section for the G2 Autoloader. If you have the G2 Autoloader, make sure your device_mappings file has an entry that begins:  [CHANGER:HP 1x8 G2 Autoloader]

We recently purchased the 2U multiple LUN  model, with a HP Ultra 320 HBA (HP SC11Xe / HP Part No: 412911-B21). We had no problem getting NetBackup 5.1 MP5 to see the autoloader using the device configuration wizard. The device mappings file that ships with 5.1 MP5 included the settings for items 1) & 2).

(The only issue we have on our Windows 2003 server is using blocksizes larger than 64KB. We need to get hold of the updated tape.sys referred to in Microsoft KB article 907418.)

What HBA are you using with the autoloader?

Tony L.

niranjana_R
Level 4
Hi,

Thanx for the comment.

I am was able to solve this issue using vmphyinv commmand .