cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helped needed moving clients to a new master/media server

CoCUser
Level 2
I am looking to move some clients from one master/media server to another and I can't seem to find any documentation on doing this.  Is there any easy way to do this?  Or is there at least a pdf somewhere outlining the steps?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6
It can be done but the process and possible issues is not supported by the normal symantec support group unless you contract the consulting division to assist you. Please read this technote:

DOCUMENTATION: How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.

However, if you have a DR or lab site then it should not effect production and you can play with it as much as you like. Smiley Wink

Oh, and search this website for others that have successfully done what you desire to do. I remember some earlier threads on this topic.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

CoCUser
Level 2
We have Netbackup 6.5 installed on both, though one is Linux and the other Windows.

Stumpr2
Level 6
1) make sure you have network connectivity between the new master/media servers and the client
2) copy the ...netbackup/db/images/client/ folder from old master over to the new master
3) change the client to use the new master
4) test restore

CoCUser
Level 2
I copied the contents of /usr/openv/netbackup/client from the Linux server to c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\client on the Windows server.  I then edited bp.conf on a client and rebooted it.  Is that all I need to do?  I am getting (25) cannot connect on socket errors when trying to connect to the host.

Stumpr2
Level 6

CoCUser wrote:
I copied the contents of /usr/openv/netbackup/client from the Linux server to c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\client on the Windows server.  I then edited bp.conf on a client and rebooted it.  Is that all I need to do?  I am getting (25) cannot connect on socket errors when trying to connect to the host.

read my posting carefully especially #2 Smiley Wink

If you cannot undo the copy that you did, then do a new installSmiley Sad

Message Edited by Stumpr on 04-18-2008 12:22 PM

CoCUser
Level 2
I see the mistake.  I was able to correct the miscopied files.  Before I saw your last post I just created new policies and add the servers.  Since this was done, do I still need to copy over the old configs?  I have only edited the bp.conf on the 1 server.  I kept getting socket errors until I manually edited the hostfile.  It is strange, the client can resolve dns without issue, but still needed the host entry to connect.

Stumpr2
Level 6
slow down and think about where you are and where you want to go. in the meantime use this technote to help determine your whereabouts in the environment.

DOCUMENTATION: Explanation of bpclntcmd options, the system calls being used, and recommended troubleshooting when the commands return errors.

Stumpr2
Level 6
How to verify name resolution for Veritas NetBackup (tm) systems, using the "bpclntcmd" command

Jez
Level 3
Going back to your original question:

"I am looking to move some clients from one master/media server to another and I can't seem to find any documentation on doing this.  Is there any easy way to do this?  Or is there at least a pdf somewhere outlining the steps?"

You can use the command "bpsetconfig"... See the wins or Unix Commands guide for details on how to use it..

Stumpr2
Level 6

You can use the command "bpsetconfig"... See the wins or Unix Commands guide for details on how to use it..

make sure you have connectivity to the new master server before doing this.

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified
I am trying to find documentation on moving Windows clients from a Windows NetBackup 5.0 server to a Linux NetBackup 6.0 server.  I've read Stumpr steps above but I don't seem to have a netbackup/db folder only netbackup/client. Is this because I have version 5.0? 

Ideally, I don't want to update the client version as I don't want to reboot any servers.  Is there an easy way to just point the clients at the new server? 

Stumpr2
Level 6

Matt Musgrove wrote:
 I've read Stumpr steps above but I don't seem to have a netbackup/db folder only netbackup/client. Is this because I have version 5.0? 

Your scaring me Smiley Surprised

Stumpr2
Level 6
Have you found your NetBackup images yet? Perhaps they were moved to another path?

DOCUMENTATION: The filesystem that NetBackup resides on has filled to 100% capacity, what steps can be taken to alleviate the filesystem, and get backups running again?

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified
Yeah, it's all on D drive not C.  I'm A UNIX man not Windows so you have to excuse me!

I haven't tried your suggestion yet to copy the db/images/client folder - is this valid when moving between different NetBackup versions?

How do I do step 3 "change the client to use the new master".  If it was a Unix client I would update bp.conf, but I can't see the Windows equivalent.   thanks

Stumpr2
Level 6
It can be done but the process and possible issues is not supported by the normal symantec support group unless you contract the consulting division to assist you. Please read this technote:

DOCUMENTATION: How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.

However, if you have a DR or lab site then it should not effect production and you can play with it as much as you like. Smiley Wink

Oh, and search this website for others that have successfully done what you desire to do. I remember some earlier threads on this topic.

SysAdminII
Not applicable
Good morning.  Two years ago, we migrated from a NBU 5.x Windows to NBU 6.0 MP4 Linux environment (just before my time here) and it was a disaster.  The catalog had to be re-built by re-loading all the tapes, etc.  So take a little time and you can avoid those problems.   Two weeks ago we went from NBU 6.0 MP4 (RHEL AS 3 Linux) to new server/library (RHEL AS 4 Linux) and catalog migration went perfect by installing NBU 6.0 and then MP4 on new server, migrating catalog, at which point we tested backups overnight on new hardware to all existing NBU 6.0 clients.   No problems.   We then did in place upgrade to NBU 6.5 then NBU 6.5.1, upgraded all UNIX and Windows clients we could (several had Microsoft related WMI problems, like the SMS 2003 server that have prevented upgrade to NBU 6.5.1 client) .  Again no problems.

Two areas I'd like to comment on:

1.  Windows to Linux:  Connection errors may be related to naming errors.

1a) On Linux server, fully populate your /etc/hosts file on your NBU Linux server.   All host names MUST BE IN "lowercase".   Linux, unlike Windows is case-sensitive.  

1b) On all Windows clients, be sure they refer to your master server in "lowercase".   We noticed this was not a problem in NBU 6.0 but same host file and Windows client settings failed after NBU 6.5.1 upgrade.

Test:   Connectivity and Versions of NBU Client and Operating System

To see what Linux master server sees:  type:    bpplclients

To see what remote NBU client sees:   type bpgetconfig -g clientname

1c) It may be obvious, but make sure your Windows Server/NBU client /etc/hosts file has lower case entries and the correct IP address for your master server and media server.

2.  NBU Catalog Migration of NBU 5.x catalog

Part of the problem with the NBU 5.x to NBU 6.x catalog migration is that the new 6.x version has a database structure that doesn't have much in common with the previous 5.x structure.

Symantec consulting recommendes performing a "catalog consistency check" of NetBackup 5.x catalog prior to migration.   And after migrating to NBU 6.x, perform the catalog consistency check again.   Be forewarded, I have seen estimated of one day to run the consistency check and open time to correct errors on the NBU 5.x platform.

Good luck,

Larry Timmins
IS Systems Division Manager

Message Edited by SysAdminII on 04-28-2008 06:49 AM

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
One thing I have found in the past is to add the new master server as a SERVER = <new master server> entry in bp.conf (or the windows equivalent) before moving to the new master server. Just make sure it is not set as the master server. After everything has been moved to the new master you can then use the GUI to make the new master THE master server. Just my £.02 worth.

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified
What is the Windows equivalent of bp.conf?  Is it a text file I can edit?

Fortunatley I don't need to carry the catalogs over, I'm just going to start backing up the clients on a new master and keep no history of past backups. 

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified
I think I've worked it out myself - using the Backup, Archive and Restore gui on the client  and going into "Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type..."  
I then restarted the NetBackup services on the client (don't know if was necessary or not but did it anyway).  

I had wrongly assumed this was for running manual backups only but seems not.  Correct me if I am wrong...

But my test backup initiated from the server appears to be working.