cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot catalog backup and ALTPATH

bpup
Level 4
Partner
When you move your images database using ALTPATH, you must configure the new location of the images db on the files tab of the cold (offline) catalog backup dialog. However, there is no such files tab for the hot backup method. How does the hot backup know where to get these files?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It's a pre-set list created when you install NetBackup, and its entries are based on the path you used to install NetBackup.

I'm sure this is documented somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it.

I'll offer this TechNote to support what I'm saying:

How to move NetBackup from one drive letter to another.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/325722.htm

One of the steps we make you do is to completely uninstall NBU from the original drive, then reinstall it on the new drive.  This would be where the hot catalog policy gets the "right" path as far as this procedure goes.

I know that's not a great example.

I thought maybe we'd have something more about this in the 7.0 Admin guide (which you can grab RIGHT NOW! from the documentation site, even if you can't select "7.0" from the dropdown...yet), but a quick scan only mentions that the online method is now the ONLY way to do catalog backups - the offline method isn't in 7.0.

I guess the only other thing I can offer is you don't ever get asked about the backup selections of this policy when you create it, so that should tell you right there we're plucking it from your existing configuration at runtime.  Again, that's not very helpful and I could certainly explain it better if I actually knew what I was talking about.  :)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
As far as I know the hot catalog backup uses the same list.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
as that was my feeling also, but is there documentation for it as I can find nada?

Deeps
Level 6
Backup selection for Hot catalog backup is predefined and can not be modified.

If we move the imagedb to alternate location , hot catalog backup will automatically follow the ALTPATH when backing up the catalog.  No other setting need to change.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I agree with Andy, as I could not find any doc that said how to set up file selection for a Hot Catalog backup.
But I truly believe that it is the same as the cold backup file list.
There has to be a way to change it, and why would you have it in two different places, one for hot and one for cold.
It makes sense that you would have one list that both would use, but with out any doc's that say so... we are only assuming.

So anybody with proof that the Hot uses the same list as the cold, or proof that the HOT has a pre-set list that cannot be changed?

Inquiring minds want to know!

CRZ
Level 6
It's a pre-set list created when you install NetBackup, and its entries are based on the path you used to install NetBackup.

I'm sure this is documented somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it.

I'll offer this TechNote to support what I'm saying:

How to move NetBackup from one drive letter to another.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/325722.htm

One of the steps we make you do is to completely uninstall NBU from the original drive, then reinstall it on the new drive.  This would be where the hot catalog policy gets the "right" path as far as this procedure goes.

I know that's not a great example.

I thought maybe we'd have something more about this in the 7.0 Admin guide (which you can grab RIGHT NOW! from the documentation site, even if you can't select "7.0" from the dropdown...yet), but a quick scan only mentions that the online method is now the ONLY way to do catalog backups - the offline method isn't in 7.0.

I guess the only other thing I can offer is you don't ever get asked about the backup selections of this policy when you create it, so that should tell you right there we're plucking it from your existing configuration at runtime.  Again, that's not very helpful and I could certainly explain it better if I actually knew what I was talking about.  :)

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Thank you for the information.  And for proving that we were not crazy in the fact that we could not find documenation.

CRZ
Level 6
Anyone who has more pie slices than I do needs no proof that they're not crazy - with the possible exception of "they must be crazy to be spending so much time on Connect"  ;)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
To the point as always!! ;)