cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set an NDMP environment variable for a restore

DaleW
Level 3

Setting an NDMP environment variable for a backup is easy enough - just add SET <var> = <value> at the top of the backup selection. But how do you do this for a restore operation? I've tried using bprestore from the command line, and specified SET <var> = <value> in the restore selection, but NetBackup gets all clever and decides that it can't find a file called SET <var> = <value> in the given date range and so ignores it. This is very annoying. Does anyone know of a way to set an NDMP environment variable for a restore?

Regards,

Dale

3 REPLIES 3

watsons
Level 6

Not that I know of...usually I would think restore follows the backup image setting, so if the backup is done by "set type=tar", a restore would use that by default - can't make it "set type=dump" to restore a tar format.

I wonder if there is a way to set those environment variable from within the NAS box itself - before you initiate the restore. Just checked out the Netapp 8.1 Data Recovery guide, it did mention about those env. variable but it is saying these SET commands have to be run from backup application end.

DaleW
Level 3

According to the NetBackup documentation it will remember NDMP variables used during backup and use these for restores, but that's not useful for my situation. The variable I want to set is NOWRITE = Y, which results in the data being read from tape but not written to disk.

I'm trying to replace the inadequate functionality of bpverify, which insists of sending the entire contents of the backup to the media server controlling the NDMP device, and makes a media verification take longer than a restore since data can be written to disk faster than it can be transferred over a 1Gbps network. It looks like I'll have to resort to running full restores instead.

A restore runs about three times the speed of a verify, and when verifying a tape at a remote site the restore runs about ten times the speed of a verify. How dumb is that?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This currently isn't possible as far as I know.  You might want to hit the Ideas section of Connect and submit an enhancement request.