cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to? ... Veritas NetBackup 5.0 client on a MSCS service.

Kornel_Karwasin
Level 2
I am about to perform a backup on clients, wich are MSCS nodes.

I have no doubts on how to perform a System State, Disk C; backups, but what about the share, which switches between the nodes?

Thanks in advance for any help.
5 REPLIES 5

Kezic_0
Level 3
Check out the 5.0 High Availability Sys Admin Guide. It has pretty good step by step insturctions on how to setup Cluster Clients. If you dont have the manual a .pdf copy gets installed in the help directory.

The short answer is you will backup the clients using the cluster virtual name.

Hope that helps

Kornel_Karwasin
Level 2
Well, I've got the guide right in front of me, but I can't find anything about virtual names (I've been expecting something like that as it is in TSM and HP DataProtector).

Alan_Yeung
Level 3
Chapter 9, p85 in the High Availbility Guide

Backing the Shared Disks
To protect the data on the disks that attach to the shared SCSI bus, configure a policy that includes the virtual server name associated with the shared disk in the Clients list. In
addition to this policy, you must also configure a separate policy to back up the local disks (see “Backing Up Local Disks in a Cluster” on page 84).
The following are guidelines for configuring the policy to back up the shared disks:
â—† If NetBackup is installed on the cluster as a NetBackup failover media server, for the policy storage unit, select the storage unit created for the failover media server.
â—† If NetBackup is installed on the cluster as separate NetBackup media servers, you can select either a storage unit that was created for one of the media servers or select Any Available.
â—† If a storage unit that does not have local, direct access to the shared disk drives is used for the backup, the data is backed up across the network. This occurs even if the
storage unit refers to a NetBackup media server running on a node of the cluster that does not currently have control of the shared disk drives.
â—† In the Backup Selections list, specify the drive letters or mounted directories of the shared disks.
Note At the time the backup is initiated, if the cluster resource that defines the virtual server name of the cluster is controlled by one node of the cluster, while the cluster
resource that defines the shared disks is controlled by another node of the cluster,the backup will fail. To prevent this condition, ensure that the virtual server name and the shared disks are configured to failover together so that the same node always controls them.
◆ For Windows 2000 clusters, the System State information is included in the backup of the node’s local disks, so it is not necessary to include System_State:\ in the file list for this policy.

Kornel_Karwasin
Level 2
Thanks, that's very helpful.

Alan_Yeung
Level 3
Glad to help!