cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the imported status of the tape?

lelei90343
Level 4
Because the system time is changed, all the tapes are expired. some tapes are passed through the import command, but the new backup image can not be written to these tapes. These imported status tapes can only be reused for lable again? who can help me ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
Shouldve done a catalog recovery rather than a media import. You cant change the status of an imported tape as far as I know. You would have to expire the images and relabel the tape most probably. You could duplicate the images to another tape then expire the image copies on the imported tape the relable that tape?

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
Shouldve done a catalog recovery rather than a media import. You cant change the status of an imported tape as far as I know. You would have to expire the images and relabel the tape most probably. You could duplicate the images to another tape then expire the image copies on the imported tape the relable that tape?

lelei90343
Level 4
thank you revarooo. I can duplicate the images to another tape then expire the image copies on the imported tape the relable that tape for reused. because all tapes expired, so all tapes change to scratch pool, I don't know which pool of some tapes belongs to,. because these tapes belongs to scratch pool,so I issue import command error. How to see which pool of these tapes belongs to?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

just move them to scratch when they are availble for reuse. Netbackup will move them into pools that need them.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You really need to check retention levels in all backup schedules. If retensions are set correctly, you will never need to import expired backups. The only way to reuse imported tapes is to expire tapes or duplicate to other media, then expire imported tape.

lelei90343
Level 4
I forgot some of the expired tape which pool, the executive Import command error, How to see which pool of these expired tapes belongs to?

lelei90343
Level 4
I forgot some of the expired tape which pool, the executive Import command error, How to see which pool of these expired tapes belongs to?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

It doesn't matter which pool - they can't be used for backups whilst imported so pool is irrelevant.

IF you expire them, just move them to scratch. They will get assigned to a pool that needs them.

Marianne
Level 6
Not sure I quite understand what you are asking... If you want to import tapes that are currently in Scratch you will need to move them to another pool before you can import them. It is really irrelevant which pool you move them to as they cannot be used for anything but restores. You may as well create a Restore or Import pool for Imported tapes.

lelei90343
Level 4
I'm sorry, I might not have described the problem. Yes, I want to import tapes that are currently in Scratch, I will need to move them to another pool before I issue import command, but I don't know their original pool name? What command can query the expired tape original pool name?

Marianne
Level 6
There is nothing that will give you previous pool name. As per my previous post, it doesn't matter which pool you move it into because the tapes can only be used for restores. Nothing else can write to it.

lelei90343
Level 4
Thank you, I later try to succeed.

Marianne
Level 6
Do not leave those tapes in Scratch - the chances are good that new backups will grab them and overwrite.