cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure the solaris backup servers backup

knbu
Level 4

Hello All,

I really need your help to configure the backup of my backups servers. We have a new Infra where we have a Solaris 11 box which we are using as a backup servers. Like master & media.I have to configure the backup for them apart from catalog but was confused about which file system to be configure for backup & what attribute to be change while creating the policy.

I am thinking to backup the /,/NBU & /opt file system is this enough or do i miss any other important mount which required for backup.In case of DR recovery infra should recover completely.The solaris is having ZFS file system but didnt see them in the df -h output.

My server details.

# uname -a
SunOS <Hostname> 5.11 11.1 sun4v sparc sun4v

Netbackup is 7.6.0.1

Really appriciate if anyone help me to get fix.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot protect a NBU master server with BMR. Only Clients and Media servers.

The most important backup of NBU master server is the Catalog backup.

Ensure that this runs successfully at least once a day and that you save the DR file on a filesystem other than where the catalogs exist, preferably on an NFS filesystem.
Be sure to configure email notification to send the DR-file as attachment.

Disaster recovery of a Master server is covered in the Disaster Recovery chapter of the NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide 

If you want to backup logs and OS config files such as /etc/hosts, you can create a normal Standard policy for this.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jim_dalton
Level 6

If I understand...use catalog backup to cover that component, and use netbackup to back up everything else. ie exclude the data backed up by the catalog from the filesystem backup. Use the all_local_drives directive and then apply an exclude.

Alternatively...use something other than netbackup to backup the master server, eg zfs <something> or tar or ...

Again no point in backing up anything from the catalog, though if you do have scope you CAN backup the whole of the master server including catalog but must be done cold ie netbackup not running and therefore you need to drive it manually ie media management, shutdown, error handling, startup,.... But can you afford to have the master server down for what could be a long time depending on the data volume?

Jim

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hi, knbu

Do you mean that you want to backup your backup server with the backup server itself? I think it might not be a good idea to do this. We're not able to consider this way as a solution to protect your backup server simply.

If you want to recovery your backup server(backup system) completely, the most important is that protecting your catalog backup image and backup data image first, that is after back them up, you should store them in other storage(you could think this as DR solution). In case of backup server crash(critical failures), e.g. hard disk/OS/FS failure etc. In this case, you have to recovery your OS, then install NBU software, and import your backup data, and recover them.

thanks

knbu
Level 4

Thanks walker.I just want to check with you about the backup data image are you suggesting of the Catalog DR files ?

Also if i configure the BMR backup to protect my complete netbackup infra system h/w apart from the above solution ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot protect a NBU master server with BMR. Only Clients and Media servers.

The most important backup of NBU master server is the Catalog backup.

Ensure that this runs successfully at least once a day and that you save the DR file on a filesystem other than where the catalogs exist, preferably on an NFS filesystem.
Be sure to configure email notification to send the DR-file as attachment.

Disaster recovery of a Master server is covered in the Disaster Recovery chapter of the NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide 

If you want to backup logs and OS config files such as /etc/hosts, you can create a normal Standard policy for this.

knbu
Level 4

Hello All,

The solution aalready provided but have one query. That on my infra i already created one NFS share(on isilon storage) & that has been mounted on my backup server.

The catalog images now stored on that NFS store directly after backup as i change the DR save location. But my query is, if the mount point get distracted or unavailable due to some issue ,can we make some changes from NBU side to swap/change the store/save location of DR files ? I mean if the share path is not availble the files directly copys to other location but i need to mention that path but not sure where to make the changes.

I just want to make sure the 100% security of the catalog DR files.

10.137.20.11:/ifs/NVMD1BLJ130D00/DRCatalog-10G
                        10G   184K        10G     1%    /NVMD1BLJ130D00/DRCatalog-10G

-bash-4.1# cd /NVMD1BLJ130D00/DRCatalog-10G

-bash-4.1# ls -alt
total 1193
-rw-------   1 root     root        2016 Jun 23 17:35 NBU-Catalog_Hot_1403525057_FULL
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     root           0 May 30 16:11 .snapshot
-bash-4.1#