cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create vcbnames manually? (Netbackup 7.0.1)

SvenKessler
Level 4

Hello,

we have a workaround running in Netbackup 7.0.1 at the moment. We can't use our Virtual Center Server as "Virtual Maschine Proxy". So we have to enter every single ESX Server as "Virtual Maschine Proxy". So we have a vcbname file for every single ESX Server. The problem ist, that when vmware moves a machine, the backup will fail because Netbackup can't find the machine because the information in the according vcbnames is old. So we plan to delete all the vcbname files every evening before the backup starts. Then we want to create it manually. I Think the bpvmutil.exe is the right tool but don't know the syntax.
Can anyone tell me how to create the vcbnames with a task?

Best regards

Sven

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you delete the files and create a scheduled task on the VCB proxy server with the command:

bpvmutil  0 8 _NONE_

OR

bpvmutil 0 0 _NONE_

What does this create?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

The framework command is

vcbVmName  
This is the VM locator utility it searches for VMs visible to VCB proxy and obtain basic VM identification information. Useful for troubleshooting “VM not found” types of errors. It will report identification information about VMs, such as UUID and MOREF. 

But netbackup populates the fi_cntl directory with files for each virtual machine server you have defined. Just deleting them will actually recreate them.

Previous forum post details:

Just deleting vcbnames file from "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl" directory, allows netbackup to re create the vcbname file with updated informations.

So just schedule a Job in your server that will delete the files under that directory whenever no backup is active.( This file is accessed by Veritas when backup is active)

I just checked it my NetBackup Test Environment. It works good. Here the logs i got from C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\logs\bpVMutil.

<2> get_VM_names: get_id_lock returned 0

11:57:59.509 [1868.3344]  read cache file = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl\vcbnames_**.***.***.***_Any
11:57:59.525 [1868.3344] cache file C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl\vcbnames_**.***.***.***_Any does not exist
11:57:59.525 [1868.3344] getHostView: Getting VM's for 10.237.204.134

from Karthikeyan

SvenKessler
Level 4

Hello,

thank you for your answere. But just deleting the files doesn't work for us. When we delete all the files, the file is recreated if we start a new backup. But it seems that the creation process takes too much time so the backup fails with the info that the virtual maschine can't be located. If we start the same backup job again it works well because the vcbnames files is created in the meanwhile.

But Netbackup only creates the vcbnames file from the host on which the machine was located the last time. For example: We delete the file with the info from the esx-15 server. Now the virtual maschine moves from esx-15 to esx-07. When we start now the backup job, the vcbnames files from the esx-15 is created, but there isn't the machine anymore.

So we still need a way to create the vcbnames from every server manually.

Best regards

Sven

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you delete the files and create a scheduled task on the VCB proxy server with the command:

bpvmutil  0 8 _NONE_

OR

bpvmutil 0 0 _NONE_

What does this create?

SvenKessler
Level 4

Thank you very much!

The first command seems to work fine. We are doing some tests, but till now it looks as if this is the solution.

Best regards

Sven