Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete restored System State in alternate location

wilsonchong
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

We did a backup of ALL_LOCAL_DRIVE for a Windows 2008 R2 machine running NBU 7.1 and did a restore test on the data drive D: . We found out some of the exe file is not being restore and after google found out is due to the files are filtered in the Shadow Copy Components from the TN76997.

So we did a restore of the System State to an alternate location, which is the D:\Restore folder, and we managed to see the exe file is inside the System State -> System Files folder in the restore folder.

The problem now is when we tried to delete away the D:\Restore folder, we are not able to do it and always got the Access Denied error. I did try to use the "takeown" and "cacls" to take the ownership and grant the permission for the folder in a command prompt. But when delete the folder using "rmdir" or "del" still got the Access Denied error.

Hope can get some advise from here and what should be the correct way to restore a data drive, which have files filtered in the Shadow Copy Components.

Regards,

Wilson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Please have a look on this. I could remove System State files restored to C:\restore.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-remove-files-can-not-remove-you-require-permission...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

When you opned the dos box, did you right click choose "Run as administrator" ?

wilsonchong
Level 4
Partner Accredited

My account is Administrator account. I also tried "Run as administrator", same results.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Have you tried to remove system file flag by attr command?

mandyc
Level 3

I also have this problem...I tried "Run as administrator"...no lucks...tried to attrib -s but it shows access denied to change attrib...

any clues?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is really a MS Windows issue, not NBU. 

Maybe best to ask in a Microsoft forum?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Try to change owner of files and folders to administrator. I can remove all the files on my lab machine.

mandyc
Level 3

hm...finally...we made it...we tried to change owner as well, but it could not solve the problem...

we finally... un-hide the hidden folders and files, then remove SYSTEM from permission of those trouble files/folders, after that, add everyone with full control permission (i dunno why administrators with full control permission could not do the work...strange...) and then all can be removed...

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

un-hide the hidden folders and files

Yes, some additional tasks like unhide and permission change are needed.
Unfortunately I'm working with Japanese Windows, so I can't provide detail in English.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Please have a look on this. I could remove System State files restored to C:\restore.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-remove-files-can-not-remove-you-require-permission...

mandyc
Level 3

wow... detail steps! gd job!