cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup backups itself (Does it require license)

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

What if master has app/db on same server which needs to be protected, does customer requires to purchase additional licenses or is entitled within enterprise server license?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Master has the client license included so flat file backups will be fine.

If you go Capacity you can have as many Masters. Media Servers, agent and options as you like - it inlcudes most things and as many as you like apart from a couple of exceptions such as De-Dupe

Think of Capacity as being a site license as long as the total FE you back up does not exceed your purchased license amount.

I have just re-checked the licensing guide which says you do need a client license as well as an application license for other servers (i had been told that had / was changing but it looks like it has not changed as yet - so apologies for that snippet of misinformation)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

No, license for client and db is needed although target host is same with server.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I would have said that a client license is not required but a database application license is.

The DB license now includes the client but not vice-versa - so i would say you would still need a license if you wanted to backup say SQL that was installed on the Master

Having said that ... I prefer a Master to be a Master so would not reccomend it doing anything else or running any Apps anyway

Hope this helps

Manjunath_Rajan
Level 4
Certified
Have to purchase the license for the client and db if the target host is same

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Mark

Agreed on your words, NBU master server must be left to do what it is meant to do, nevethless crucial situation ends up with combination of both. Had referred licensing guide but there are no official statements on licensing requirement of master server itself.

i presume if only flatfile is to be backed up of  master server itself , we should not require any license at all, or should we?

For DB protection , it sounds logical for additional license , still not sure if master covers it all 

Move over with FETB also there are not guidelines or limitations highlighted on max number of master server customer can deploy in between their Production and DR sites

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Mark - Client license is included in Server license (master, media or San media).
Application and database pack license is always separate.

About installing NBU master on a DB server - think about it this way:
Will anybody install two different types of databases on the same server in production?
Think of DBs such as Oracle, DB2, SQL, Informix, etc.
Same applies to NBU with its own Sybase database that can at times be extremely resource intensive.
SQL will by design try to reserve all available memory.
Which DB do you blame when they fight one another for resources?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Master has the client license included so flat file backups will be fine.

If you go Capacity you can have as many Masters. Media Servers, agent and options as you like - it inlcudes most things and as many as you like apart from a couple of exceptions such as De-Dupe

Think of Capacity as being a site license as long as the total FE you back up does not exceed your purchased license amount.

I have just re-checked the licensing guide which says you do need a client license as well as an application license for other servers (i had been told that had / was changing but it looks like it has not changed as yet - so apologies for that snippet of misinformation)

Hope this helps

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi Mark

To sum it up , Customer would need licenses for app db + client license to protect db on same host

Correct me if i misunderstood 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

For normal server clients you need a client license and a DB license

If the DB is on the Master you just need the DB license as the Master license includes a client license

That is as i have always understood it - if in any doubt double check with you Symantec partner

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Well, I've heard from local Symantec that client license is needed even if the host to be backed up is same with server. File backup works, but we can use it only for catalog backup and backup of netbackup files.

Assuming all-in-one environment - master, media, and client is same host, server license key for traditional license does not have some features of standard client like Client Encryption. So, we can not use client encryption in the domain where Client license key is not addded.. If client is included in server, why this happens?