cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do migration of NBU6.5 Solaris (SPARC) to NBU6.5 Linux ?

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Dear members,

We want to migrate a NBU Master Server 6.5 running on Solaris (SPARC) to a RedHat Linux server.

Did anyone already do this ?

Many thanks !

7 REPLIES 7

James_Perry
Level 4

I have not changed platforms or moved a master since 4.5 but it seems that to do it as smoothly as possible you would need to:

1. Setup the new host as it's own master.
2. Setup the EMM database and add one media server.
3. Verify that the media server can do backups/restores from the new master.
4. Test copy over the catalogs relevant to the new media server and see if it could backup/restore something from before it was connected to the new master.

If all that works then you would still need to move the EMM and NB Media DBs over.  I do not know how that is done.  Theoretically you could do a tar backup of a good Linux install of the binaries and setup files, copy over everything under /usr/openv from Solaris, which woulg get the DB as well, and then untar back the binaries and settings files from Linux on top. 

I don't know if that would allow the media DB to mount or not.

You could also try to do a cold catalog and DB backup and then restore those over to the new master.  The only problem I can see there is that you will have issues if the new server and the old server do not have the same host names. 

In the past Veritas/Symantec has deferred the process to consulting versus writing any form of documentation I can now find again.  I do remember seeing something about moving masters when I was diffing on a problem and reading all the docs, but i cannot seem to find it now, so I may have been dreaming at the time.

James_Perry
Level 4
One other side thought i had while digging on this issue would be to look at clustering the master servers.  I do not know if this is possible cross platform or not.

It seems that if it can go across platforms then you could sync the two servers up and then drop the old one from the cluster with the new Linux one as the master.

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/recovering-catalogs-cold-backup-solaris-linux

It is not supported, but it's possible with some R&D and requires some knowledge about NBU structure.

Otherwise here is official way:

Document ID: 267137
http://support.veritas.com/docs/267137 

DOCUMENTATION: How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.

Details:
Manual:
NetBackup DataCenter 4.5 System Administrator's Guide for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup DataCenter 4.5 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.0 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.0 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Unix, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.1 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.1 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for UNIX, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.0 System Administrator's Guide for Windows, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.0 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.5 Administrator's Guide for Windows, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.5 Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume 1, Page: N/A

Modification Type: Supplement.

Modification:
As the needs and requirements for a NetBackup environment change, it may be necessary to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one Master Server or platform to another or to combine two or more NetBackup domains to form a single domain.  

While migration and merging is possible, NetBackup Support does not have the necessary resources and experience to properly execute this process.  NetBackup Support can assist in restoring the data back to the same original platform in the event of a failed attempt, but is not equipped to assist in these sorts of activities.  To insure data integrity and seamless operation, operations of this type must be performed by Symantec Consulting Services.

Symantec Consulting Services have developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:

• Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered master server
  • Renaming of a Master Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system
  • Un-clustering a clustered master server
Given the nature of the information stored in the NetBackup catalogs and the potential for data loss, the process of moving or merging the NetBackup catalogs from one platform to another without the assistance of Symantec Consulting Services is not supported by the NetBackup Support organization.  

Symantec Consulting Services will assist customers by determining the correct approach to take, planning the activity and executing the plan successfully with minimum disruption to the operational environment.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales representative for assistance in engaging Symantec Consulting Services.  Please note, a migration of this sort must be a part of a conscious, planned, and permanent transition, and should not be part of a disaster recovery process or any part of a disaster recovery plan.

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hello,

I tried it in my lab ...
Entire NBU catalog recovery is not possible since ASA under Linux is quite different from Solaris...
I restored only the images database and it seems OK, since I am able to verify backup images successfully.
I needed only to recreate all policies (I made it using NBU cmd lines) ... In my configuration test bed there is no credential, Disk pools or anything like that ... Otherwise I needed to reconfigure these parts since the EMM db was not restored ...

Best regards,

Pierrev
Not applicable
Partner Accredited
Hello all,
have you find others working methods ?

I'm very interested.

Regards

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hello,

No, i did not find another... Except for policy recreation. I copied the policy directory (/usr/openv/netbackup/db/class...). So the migration was very fast :)

T_N
Level 6
I think 2 ways to migrate from Solaris to Linux

Install new master on linux server

1)  import catalog backup from Solaris to Linux NBU (I'm not sure it's compatible on Linux) (but should be same host name)
2) import all tapes, it's long way to do that  but I think Symantec support recommand do that :D