Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to duplicate data from one media to another media

sumanreddy
Level 4
Certified
Hi All,

I am having a problem with media where in it should write to one Tape, instead its writing the data to the Other Tape,
is there any possibility if i could get the data to be written to the Original tape.

Please suggest

4 REPLIES 4

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Haven't you created the volume pools for the policies ??

1. Create volume pools

2. Assign the original media to this volume pool

3. Assign the newly create volume pool to the schedule of the policy

Fro more information refer to NBU Admin Guide 1

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
If you mean that you have some images on one tape that you need transferring to another tape then it is possible to transfer those images using the duplication facility.

Or do you mean that these images didn't go on the tape you wanted or expected & you need to know why?

If the latter, there could be any number of reasons: different retentions, different volume pools for each schedule, original tape not in library, original tape full/frozen/suspended, even multiple data streams & multiplexing settings could have an effect on this.

If you could clarify a little, we may be able to provide you with more guidance.

sumanreddy
Level 4
Certified
Yes Andy , All the Images from one tape need transferred to another tape?
If  there is a possibility please provide me the steps.

Regards,
Suman

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
I'm sure others may set me right or add to these steps, but basically:

TapeA has imagesA1
TapeB has imagesA2

You need to transfer imagesA2 from TapeB to TapeA (this is presuming that TapeA is not full, frozen etc)

In the 'Admin Console GUI' select Catalog
In the 'Action' drop-down box select Duplicate
In 'Media ID' drop-down box select TapeB (or whatever!)
Select a date & time range that covers the period when imagesA2 were saved to tape.
((You could possibly refine the search using policy, policy type options etc but not strictly necessary - depends exactly what you are looking for!!))
Click on Search Now  (may take some time to come back with anything)

Once the images have been found, they will appear in the bottom window.
Right-click those images you wish to duplicate & select ...wait for it!... Duplicate...
You are now presented with a further window where you can select which storage unit & volume pool you wish to duplicate to & whether you want to make this the primary copy or change the retention period.

It may be wise to ensure that TapeA is loaded & available (& the only tape in the library for the volume pool in question - or the duplicate may go to TapeC !!)

You can probably do this via command line & altho' I'm generally command line orientated, I would prefer this route.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.