cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable multi-stream duplication within SLP

LanceYoon
Level 2
Partner Certified
Does any one know how to enable multi-stream duplication?
I’ve created SLP as below. And policy set to use multi-stream. So up to 4 data streams created when backup performed. Right after backup completed, duplication started. but it uses only one tape drive. I expected the same number of data streams to occurs as well when duplicating.

I’ve searched manuals and other online sources. It seems that NetBackup does not support what I’m trying. I want multistream happens when duplication process occurs from dedup storage to tape library.

SLP
1.Backup  --> Destination is  "Deduplication Storage"
2.Duplication --> Destination is  "Tape Library (8 Drives) "

Any input will greatly be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Do you know the "Best Practices for using Storage Lifecycle Policies" ?

It say on page 13 "Considerations when duplicating multiple stream application backups"

Many application backups such as Oracle and MS-SQL can be configured to back up data in multiple parallel streams. When data is backed up in this way the application API usually expects to restore it in parallel as well. This is not an issue if the backup is written to disk or to tape (using multiple tapes or multiplexing) but the process of duplicating from disk to tape or VTL is sequential and a set of backup streams written in parallel to disk and then duplicated to tape will be stored sequentially on the tape. This can present a problem if a restore needs to be made from the tape copy as the restore process may pause or even time out waiting for the required streams to be located on the tape.

Said that , you may achieve what you wan't by tuning MIN_GB_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB/MAX_GB_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB in the LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS file.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Do you know the "Best Practices for using Storage Lifecycle Policies" ?

It say on page 13 "Considerations when duplicating multiple stream application backups"

Many application backups such as Oracle and MS-SQL can be configured to back up data in multiple parallel streams. When data is backed up in this way the application API usually expects to restore it in parallel as well. This is not an issue if the backup is written to disk or to tape (using multiple tapes or multiplexing) but the process of duplicating from disk to tape or VTL is sequential and a set of backup streams written in parallel to disk and then duplicated to tape will be stored sequentially on the tape. This can present a problem if a restore needs to be made from the tape copy as the restore process may pause or even time out waiting for the required streams to be located on the tape.

Said that , you may achieve what you wan't by tuning MIN_GB_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB/MAX_GB_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB in the LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS file.