Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force FULL status on a tape

phil7878
Level 2
Using netbackup 6.5

I had a a tape that was FULL.

I manually froze it using bpmedia -freeze.
I manually unfroze it using bpmedia -unfreeze.

Now the FULL status has disapeared and if i try to backup again on the tape I have a different  IO error and it put it to FROZE state but never again in FULL state.

How can I put back my tape in FULL state ?

In the same idea.
I  disabled the propertie "Media/Allow Backup to span tape media" to prevent image to span from a tape to an other.
On the original tape when I try to backup the last file that would overflow the tape, there is an error, the tape got into FULL state. That is ok, as expected.
If I want to duplicate that tape once it is FULL, the duplicated tape will never be in FULL state, especially if things had been erase on the original tape before it got FULL.
How can I force the duplicated tape to go in full state, so that it is really a mirror of the first one.

Thanks for any help !
3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6

Tapes are not duplicated.
The images on the tape are duplicated.

phil7878
Level 2
I know that it is the underlying concept.

But I can still do bpduplicate -id .....

I think it is just easier to manage it on a tape point of view especially since we have to put those copy offsite.

The main question is really about the possibility to force the status of a tape to FULL or to reestablish the fullnes status after having freeze and unfreeze a tape that was already full

Stumpr2
Level 6
You can read the value that is set by using the bpmedialist -mlist but you cannot chnge it. Perhaps restarting the volume manager will force Netbackup to re-read and reset the flag. Maybe even doing a bpverify will change it.