Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5.3 Master Server Exclude List setup

Ajenda
Level 4
Partner
Hello,
I was curious whether it was possible to setup an exclude list to be controlled by the Master server to specify for all UNIX clients to exclude the /tmp directory from backups. One of the clients were setup, and that works. However, it would be helpful to have a centralized list administered from the Master server since there are 20+ clients that need this directive. In the previous version of 5.1, the exlcude list was setup to include policy name from the Master server, I do not see how to configure that for the 6.5.3 version.
Thanks,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
DOCUMENTATION: A method for centrally managing exclude and include list for UNIX and Linux clients under NetBackup 6.5.3.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/316533

It might not be neat but it is a method.

Ajenda
Level 4
Partner
I was reviewing that earlier and wasn't sure if it would apply to mult. clients. It appears that each client would need to be specified:
# bpgetconfig -e /usr/openv/netbackup/lists/sun01_exclude_list sun01

2. In the following example, the file /usr/openv/netbackup/lists/sun01_exclude_list.fullbck is written to /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list.fullbck on the client sun01.
# bpsetconfig -e /usr/openv/netbackup/lists/sun01_exclude_list.fullbck -h sun01 -c fullbck

If the exclude list is not setup on the client(s) would this type of command work to specify a policy that encompasses mult. clients w/o having to specify them individually?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Exclude list are very personal and each one can be different, that is why each server has its own.

However if you want to apply something to a bunch of servers at once then in the gui open client properties for 10 servers at once,  add the exclude and it will apply to all 10.

but NO there is no single exclude list that sits on the master and gets applied to all clients.

out of my 400 servers very few of them match as each application installed on the servers may required different items to be exclude or even the same items but with a different path.

On unix systems use the command line option given or write a script that copies a file over to all the servers

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
/cdrom/*
/dev/SRC
/dev/.SRC-unix/*
/dev/log
/proc/*

I don't make new unix servers much so I cannot remember if I added /proc/* or if it was added automaticly ( these are aix boxes)  but these are the dirs that all my unix servers have in common.

Ajenda
Level 4
Partner
Hello,
Using the All_Local_Drives directive has provided the action I need. Thanks for the help.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
It's now backing up exactly what you'd expect/want?