cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force start time for Netbackup policy - confused newbie!

Rolf_Gitt
Level 3

I understand the concept of Start Windows for NetBackup policies. What's throwing me off is that sometimes a job starts later in the start window than I expect. e.g. have a start window of 5pm to 5am, and the backup job starts at 10pm, whereas theday before it started at 5pm. It's not an issue of "tape drive in use" since I have two tape drives, and the start window for this job is earliest in the day, so in theory, two tape drives should be free at the start of the start window (at 5pm)....so why is it waiting until 10pm (or some other arbitrary time to start?

I guess I'm confused because I can't find a start TIME entry point anywhere.

Is the "trick" to narrow down your start window to, say, 5pm-6pm to try to "force" a specific backup job to start within that 1 hour time period? Or is there some other best practice approach?

Many thanks for any recommendations.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6

@Rolf Gitt wrote:

Is the "trick" to narrow down your start window to, say, 5pm-6pm to try to "force" a specific backup job to start within that 1 hour time period? Or is there some other best practice approach?

wrong "trick" Smiley Happy

The "trick" is to set the frequency to a value slighty larger than the window.

If you have a window of 5PM to 5AM which is 12 hours then set the frequency to 13 hours.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6

@Rolf Gitt wrote:

wrong "trick" Smiley Happy

The "trick" is to set the frequency to a value slighty larger than the window.

If you have a window of 5PM to 5AM which is 12 hours then set the frequency to 13 hours.

Rolf_Gitt
Level 3

Many thanks for the frequency "trick"....I've set that up now....when you think about it, it makes sense... but that's tricky....I come from an ArcServe background, where you schedule the start date AND time for a job - NetBackup is conceptually different, but I must say I do like NetBackup, despite the learning curve!

Thank you!