cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate a detailed report of a client backup?

joe-j
Level 4

I have some rather large backups, which I feel should be much smaller, and need to identify what is being backed up.  Is there a way to generate a report of the files that are backed up on the client?

Any help is sure appreciated!

38 REPLIES 38

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

.. from one of our (internal technotes)

In a good backup you should see under the System state item

"_sharedhardlinkdata_"
and 
"system files"

... so I would say yes, it should be backed up.

Try the recycle bin first, see what that does.  If still no luck - can you research what this really is with Microsoft.

I'm not suggesting that it is their issue, we might just need to understand what it is.

Martin

joe-j
Level 4

I emptied the recycle bin and we'll see how the backups look this evening.

Thanks!  Have a good night!

joe-j
Level 4

Well, emptying the recycle bin did not result in any changes to the system state backup.  I still have thousands of the "_sharedhardlinkdata_" entries.

It is looking like I may need to adjust all of my policies and list each hard drive for backup, rather than using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.

I don't understand why the system state is doing a full backup at each job even though the policy is set to do a cummulative incremental...

sad

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES with Allow multiple data sreams. Do this before Full is due.

joe-j
Level 4

Okay.  I will try that.

Will Allow multiple data streams reset the archive bit for the system state?  Or what should I expect from doing this?

Thanks!

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hope Mariannes suggestion works, I'm out of ideas here ...  if need be, I'll chat with some of the windows guys on Mon.

M(artin)

joe-j
Level 4

Thanks very much Martin!

Cheers!

Marianne
Level 6

Multiple data streams will merely start separate jobs for SCC and drive letters. It will not reset Archive Bit. If this is enabled when incremental is due, the effect will be full until a real Full is run.

WHY?  This is how I've come to know NBU.....

joe-j
Level 4

Thanks Marianne,

I have enabled multiple data streams and am running a full backup now.  Then after it completes I will run my cumulative incremental and see what happens.

I'll let you know what the results are!

joe-j
Level 4

Here are the results.

Full Backup with Multiple data streams enabled:

System State: 4.1GB

C:\ drive: 1.2GB

D:\ drive: 1.1GB

Cummulative Incremental Backup with Multiple data streams enabled:

System State: 4.1GB

C:\ drive: 13MB

D:\ drive: 2MB

Basically, the System State backup insists on running a full backup each time the job is run when selecting the directive ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.  Perhaps this is by design?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"If I am not mistaken SCC is always backed up in full? (not 100% sure...)"

I was of the same opinion, but could not find any supporting evidence apart from :

"System State" and "Shadow Copy Components" are always backed up in their entirety, regardless of the backup schedule type.  The components backed up using these directives are critical for operating system recovery.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51500

So it'll be a case of either live with it or find a 'workaround' e.g. exclude SS/SCC from your incrementals if appropriate.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Agree with Andy - the System State (or Shadow Copy Components) is always backed up in full regardless of the backup type (Full, Inc, Diff).

If you dont want to back up that much data then you can either exclude it (you need to know if it is being classed as System State or Shadow Copy Components) but only exclude it for the incremental schedule as it is handy to have it should the system die! - or just have 2 policies:

Policy 1: C and D drive running Full and Incremental backups

Policy 2: System State - Full backup once a week

Of course this doesnt help much with your report other than to say the report should give you a list of the "Real" files that have been backed up.

Hope this helps

joe-j
Level 4

Thanks everyone.  Your help has been invaluable!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Dont forget to mark the thread that helped you the most as a Solution to close the thread off if you are happy

Thanks

joe-j
Level 4

It was mentioned that I could create two policies:

Policy 1: C and D drive running Full and Incremental backups

Policy 2: System State - Full backup once a week

Do I need to add all the directives (System State, Shadow Copy, and Active Directory Applcation Mode), or will System State cover all?  Will the System State backup policy end up running a complete backup of my servers?

Thanks very much!

- Joe

Marianne
Level 6

Only Shadow Copy Components  - it includes everything you mentioned and more. Full list in NBU Admin Guide I:

Shadow Copy Components:\  directive:

Since the Shadow Copy Components contain System State information, the Shadow
Copy Components need to be backed up by a full backup.

The Volume Shadow Copy components include the following:

System State writers
■ System files
■ COM+ Class Registration Database
■ SYSVOL
■ Active Directory
■ Cluster quorum
■ Certificate Services
■ Registry
■ Internet Information Services

System Service writers
■ Removable Storage Manager
■ Event logs
■ Windows Internet Name Service
■ Windows Management Instrumentation
■ Remote Storage
■ Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
■ Terminal Server Licensing
■ Background Intelligent Transfer Service

User Data
Items that the computer does not require to operate. For example,
Active Directory Application Mode.

Other Data
A category that is intended for future NetBackup releases.

joe-j
Level 4

Thank you Marianne!

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is why it would have been better if your separate question had been asked in a separate thread - since you can only mark one solution, my solution mark has disappeared, and you KNOW I live and die by how many solutions I've authored.  ;)

EDIT: Well, now it's marked again, so thanks!  But I'm sure Marianne now wishes there had been a separate thread!  :)

joe-j
Level 4

My bad.  I certainly should have created a new thread.  I'm very sorry about that.

This was my first post, so I am learning...

Thanks again to everyone for the assistance.