cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install NetBackup 7.6?

UFO
Level 6

Hi everybody!

I should have entitled this "How to install [enterprise] Symantec product?", but right now I need your insight on how to install NetBackup 7.6 and make the initial setup to make a first backup? Like writing "Hello, World". This question might sound stupid and the answer that pops out immideately is probably: "read the installation guide". If tried to do this - you know that this is not that simple. I need a document or whatever you call this with high level steps and maybe some advisory and comments on each of them.

It should not be this multihundred pages manual but 2-4 pages of basic steps to set up the product on fixed environment.

Outline is like this:

1) Obtain the software here (fileconnect)

2) better unpack here...

3) Install master server (consider names) ..

4) Install media server...

5) add storage..

etc

Does anyone has this kind of document?

I have read a lot about setting up different Symantec products, and the advise just like "set it up in a test environment" doesn't work when you doing this for the first time (I am not talking BE or SEP with their transparent architecture and easy setup process).

P.S. If nobody has this kind of information (which I doubt) I will read all these ten ton manuals and compose the document by myself, and then will share it with you. That's the plan :)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I doubt you'll find that here, but I'll give you a kick start. Specially for you, Symantec has created NetBackup76_Install_Guide (http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6447)

You shoud briefly run through it. The following sections would be of interest.

• Chapter 1
  • Chapter 2
  • Chapter 3 or 4 (depending on your master/media server OS)
  • Chapter 6
  • Chapter 7

Come back when you've made some progress.

View solution in original post

Marianne

You are right - all of NBU documentation is probably a bit overwhelming.

Fact is, NetBackup is not an 'off-the-shelve' product where you click on setup -> next -> next... and voila! backups are running!

Best to book yourself on a 5-day classroom training course where you start with backup device setup, then NBU server installation, config of devices and Storage Units in NBU, policy design and config, and only on day 3 you actually get to do backups.
The alternative is to pay for a consultant to assist with design, installation and configuration where you learn as much as you can from this consultant.

If you do not have the luxury of a training course or a consultant, take your time and go through documentation. 
Nothing 'quick and easy' in a 3-page doc.
Start with Installation Guide, then go onto the Admin Guide to learn about configuration.

This is how I learned 15 years ago... best way to read, then do, then read some more when you get stuck... and get to know the Troubleshooting and Status Code Guides...

Welcome to my world! And Good luck!

NBU 7.6 Documentation:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6488 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello,

I doubt you'll find that here, but I'll give you a kick start. Specially for you, Symantec has created NetBackup76_Install_Guide (http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6447)

You shoud briefly run through it. The following sections would be of interest.

• Chapter 1
  • Chapter 2
  • Chapter 3 or 4 (depending on your master/media server OS)
  • Chapter 6
  • Chapter 7

Come back when you've made some progress.

Marianne

You are right - all of NBU documentation is probably a bit overwhelming.

Fact is, NetBackup is not an 'off-the-shelve' product where you click on setup -> next -> next... and voila! backups are running!

Best to book yourself on a 5-day classroom training course where you start with backup device setup, then NBU server installation, config of devices and Storage Units in NBU, policy design and config, and only on day 3 you actually get to do backups.
The alternative is to pay for a consultant to assist with design, installation and configuration where you learn as much as you can from this consultant.

If you do not have the luxury of a training course or a consultant, take your time and go through documentation. 
Nothing 'quick and easy' in a 3-page doc.
Start with Installation Guide, then go onto the Admin Guide to learn about configuration.

This is how I learned 15 years ago... best way to read, then do, then read some more when you get stuck... and get to know the Troubleshooting and Status Code Guides...

Welcome to my world! And Good luck!

NBU 7.6 Documentation:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6488 

DG-2005
Level 5

definitely take the advice from Marianne and Riaan, additionally there is SORT which can be helpful as far as procedure goes (even if it's a brand new installation)

It will help with determining requirements needed as well.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As Marriane mentioned please get training. This will reduce the amount of frustration you will have not only installing the product, but using it as well.  

And as DG-2005 said, the Sort web site is a great tool to use for your upgrade. It was created by Symantec engineers to make upgrades and installation easier. It contains data collection tools for identifing issues with your upgrade. I wrote a small blg about it a while ago, SORT your next NetBackup upgrade

UFO
Level 6

Marianne, Riaan, DG, Terry, thank you!

Knowing that I will have you as virtual support team is very valuable for me. Appreciate that. Will keep in touch.