cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install ONLY NBU Java Admin Console on Unix/Linux

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It seems you can install just the NBU Java Admin Console on Windows, but on UNIX you have to install the whole client.  Does anyone know how you can install just the client and if technically it works on Ubuntu.

On the SCL, Ubuntu or Debian Linux is not mentioned, but it is mentioned as a client and in the client Debian2.6.18 directory there is a NB-Java.tar.gz which suggests (to me anyway) there is a java GUI available and the forum post  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-java-administration-console-intelfreebsd reckons it is possible, but the links to technotes don't work.

I have NBU master and media install in a VM on my laptop, but the VM is a cut-down O/S without X windows as I don't need X-windows as the O/S on my laptop is Ubuntu (hence can't use Windows Java GUI) and so X-windws is built into client O/S

The SCL also says:

The NetBackup Java Administration Console is an interface to configure and manage NetBackup installed on the same machine. The interface can run on any NetBackup Java-capable system.

So I would think it should work, but as a starting point I have installed a Redhat server VM with X-windows and am try to install the Java GUI only but, neither "install_client" or extract_java work, and I have tried just installing the SYMCnbjava and SYMCnbjre rpms and this gives the same  "no Vmangle in java.library.path" error as in forum post link above.

The VCS java GUI is not supported on Ubuntu either, but this was a piece of cake to install in Ubuntu and works just fine, so I was hoping the same would be true for NBU GUI.

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have resolved this - seems as you just need to put lib*mangle* files in /usr/openv/lib from the SYMCnbclt package and now GUI fires up in Ubuntu.

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have resolved this - seems as you just need to put lib*mangle* files in /usr/openv/lib from the SYMCnbclt package and now GUI fires up in Ubuntu.

Mike

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi Mike - it's an interesting post - just wondering if you have a little time and whether you would be willing and able to expand upon the steps taken with a little more detail about how you resolved the situation?  Thanks.  :)

sclind
   VIP   

I would appreciate that also.