cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there any maximum limit for Client_read_timeout

Sowjanya
Level 4

Hi,we have an issue where the restore is being failed as there are file with large size(approx 15GB) but the writing speed is only 5MB/sec. So we suggested to increase the value of client_read_timeout to 14400 as the values 1440,3600,7200 didn't give succsessful backups.The restore is successful for the value 14400.Could you please let us know if there is any maximum limit for the client_read_timeout value?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I opened up my (7.6.1) admin console and started typing nines and this popped up:

client_read_timeout.png

So I believe you can technically set that timeout for about 6.8 years, if you desire.

I'm not sure this is something you'd WANT to do in practice, however.  ;)

View solution in original post

watsons
Level 6

Changing client_read_timeout will not resolve your backup performance/speed issue.

Client_read_timeout is meant for resolving timeou issue, such as error codes 40, 41, 13, 24, 69  you can consider changing it. And while there is a max value allowed, I normally won't go > 14400 sec, because if that high value cannot solve your timeout issue, your backup is just taking too long to wait. 

Anyway, back to backup speed, check your job details for "waited for xxxx buffer" message and go through this technote to identify where the slowness come from:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH18422

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I opened up my (7.6.1) admin console and started typing nines and this popped up:

client_read_timeout.png

So I believe you can technically set that timeout for about 6.8 years, if you desire.

I'm not sure this is something you'd WANT to do in practice, however.  ;)

watsons
Level 6

Changing client_read_timeout will not resolve your backup performance/speed issue.

Client_read_timeout is meant for resolving timeou issue, such as error codes 40, 41, 13, 24, 69  you can consider changing it. And while there is a max value allowed, I normally won't go > 14400 sec, because if that high value cannot solve your timeout issue, your backup is just taking too long to wait. 

Anyway, back to backup speed, check your job details for "waited for xxxx buffer" message and go through this technote to identify where the slowness come from:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH18422

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

For restore it some times makes sense to to have a bigger CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT, for example for big SQL databases as the SQL Server "formats" the database files before the actually data transfer starts unless the  file initialization is disabled.

What speed did the backup of the file run with ? Restore is almost always slower as it a write rather than read operation.

Have you checked what the different hardware components limits are ? NetBackup speeds will never be better than the slowest component in the chain.

I would start with checking what speed the disk system can actually write with as writing usually is the bottleneck.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Sowjanya
Level 4

Thank you all for your responses. All the responses helped me .

Sowjanya