Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move/ migrate Netbackup Master Server path

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Forumers,

We are planning to migrate the installation path of master server from Drive C to Drive D.

We are doing this because the Drive C has smaller disk space. We installed additional hard drive and we will migrate install path t: drive D.

I need your on how to do this.

thanks

10 REPLIES 10

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH135546

Hope this helps you..

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

To move the images database do the following.

1. Back up the NetBackup catalogs by running a Hot or Online catalog backup.  A backup of the catalogs ensures that you can recover image information in case something is accidentally lost during the move.

2. Check the Jobs tab in the Activity Monitor and ensure that no backups or restores are running for the client.  If jobs are running, either wait for them to end or stop them by using the Jobs
tab in the Activity Monitor.

3. Use the Services tab in the Activity Monitor to stop the Request Manager and the Database Manager services. These services are stopped to prevent jobs from starting. Do not modify the database while this procedure is performed.

4. Create a file named ALTPATH in the image catalog directory for each client. For example, if NetBackup is installed in the default location and the client name is mars, the path to the image catalog is:

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\images\mars\ALTPATH

5. Create the directory to which you intend to move the image information. For example:

D:\NetBackup\alternate_db\images\mars

6. On the first line of the ALTPATH file, specify the path to the directory where you intend to move the client's image information. For example:

The path is the only entry in the ALTPATH file.

7. Copy all files and directories (except the ALTPATH file) that are in the current client directory to the new directory.  

For example, if the images are currently in
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\images\mars
and the ALTPATH file specifies
then copy all files and directories (except the ALTPATH file) to

8. Start the NetBackup Request Manager and NetBackup Database Manager services by using the Services tab in the Activity Monitor.

Backups and restores can now resume for the client.

Once backups and restores have been tested, remove the folders containing the image files in the original C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\images\mars folder.  This will reclaim the disk space in the C: drive.

Note:  Do not remove the ALTPATH file or the original client folder.  The client_name\ALTPATH file is the pointer to the new location for all the image files done for that client.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

the above excellent TechNote that is provided by Sri Vani is to chage the Netbackup Image data base location from One Drive to another Drive.

it fits fine in case of space issue on C Drive due to image database...

this method will not change the netbackup installation path.. just do chage the image Database path...

alternatively.. if you want to change total netbackup  installation path also... you can also try below method.

1) Take Netbackup Full Catalog backup

2) uninstall the netbackup using the netbackup software

3) reinstall the netbackup on the new Drive

4) Perfrom the catalog recovery to the New Drive.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sorry that I have to disagree Nagalla...

Reinstall to new drive and catalog recovery will not work - Catalog is always restored to exact same path where it was backed up from.

ALTPATH is the only supported way.

RamNagalla

Marianne you are correct as always....

above method that i have specified does not help... 

seems the tech note 68160 is have the way to move the DB , which is not avaliable offically.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/tech-note-68160-moving-netbackupdbimages-different-pa...

Marianne
Level 6

I saw in another recent discussion that Symantec removed this TN because it created issues during catalog recovery.

See https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/database-drive-full#comment-9441431

RamNagalla

agreed.... wink

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Marianne - as a catalog manipulation expert - could this not be done using one of the catalog manipulation methods?

Just thinking that as they can be split, joined, change O/S etc. that moving them from C to Ds hould be possible if a suitably qualified person was brought in on a PS basis?

This would obviously "cost" so my preferred plan would be to just follow a DR process and move the master to new hardware (or VMware) where you could supply a much larger C drive and avoid all of these costs and worries

Hope these ideas help

Marianne
Level 6

Hi Mark 

Moving NBU to a new location is not part of Catalog Manipulation 'bag of tricks', but all trained consultants have access to a group of engineers that should be able to assist.

Process/steps will have to be validated and approved by the Partner Assist team to ensure ongoing support.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Thanks M.

If it was my setup i would see it as an opportunity to have a server upgrade or to virtualise the Master - i would have thought that was the easiest and most cost efficient way to do it

Hope we have given Rick some food for thought