cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to schedule some automated hourly restore job.

Zakirk_Khan
Level 4

Hello,

I am pressure to create a scripted for restore job. 

We have two server say server 1 and server 2.

On server 1 we are using netbackup 7.6 (Windows Server 2008) for backup.

We have one database, which need to be backup on hourly basis and want this hourly backup to be restore on diffrent server with same name and path.

What I want?
I am backing up a folder (located at \\Server1\XYZ\ABC) that includes 2 .mdb files on a hourly basis. 
Afterwards I want to restore these 2 files to a different server. 

Is it possible to create and schedule some automated hourly restore job and make it restore thes 2 files in netbackup or any other tool.

Any help will be really appreciated! 

Zakir Khan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot schedule restores in NetBackup. You can use the windows scheduler or cron (unix) to schedule tasks and execute scripts.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RiaanBadenhorst

You cannot schedule restores in NetBackup. You can use the windows scheduler or cron (unix) to schedule tasks and execute scripts.

Marianne
Level 6

Curious about "... backing up ...   2 .mdb files on a hourly basis  ...."

Are those file-level backups of online, live databases? 
If so, I doubt that you will be able to startup the databases after restore of the .mdb files.

Look at bprestore command that you can use in external scheduler.

Zakirk_Khan
Level 4

yes it is an online databases.

OR

Any othe option or tool for schedule automated hourly restore job.

Marianne
Level 6
Again, you cannot do file-level backup or restore of online, live database. For file-level backup, database must be shut down. As per previous post - look at bprestore command. Figure out the options that meet your requirements, then put it in Windows scheduler. PS: Backup and restore does not seem to be the best way to meet this particular RPO/RTO requirements. You need to investigate replication options - database tools or else volume/filesystem replication.

Zakirk_Khan
Level 4

any sample scripts ?

Marianne
Level 6

Honestly - as per my previous post, you need to look at the options available for bprestore command, then figure out the options that meet your requirements, then put it in Windows scheduler.

So, best to start with testing bplist commands.
If you can list the files/folders that you want to restore, you can use the same criteria in bprestore command.

bplist: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO103823 

bprestore: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO103842 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH21196 

Look at the examples in all of these TNs.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Sounds to me like what you want is covered by log shipping in most database software like DAG, Dataguard and so on

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Level 6

Exactly what I was thinking over here.

Besides, filesystem backup of online, live database will probably not startup after restore.

Zakirk_Khan
Level 4

We have oracle database.

Which need to be backup on hourly basis and want this hourly backup to be restore on diffrent server with same name and path.

jim_dalton
Level 6

You cant just grab an oracle instance hot and think it will work. Can you not...run an export to disk, backup the export , figure out how to script the restore as advised above then give it a go? Or you need to use the ora agent to back it up hot and carry out the same investigation to script a restore but for the hot ora agent.

Stepping back you might want to look at totaly different solution:Oracle dataguard covers this kind of functionality: talk to your DBA. Jim.

Marianne
Level 6

I have nothing else to contribute here... seems that we are not heard when we say that file-level backup of an online database will NOT come up after the restore....