cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade Netbackup 6.0 MP3 to the 6.5.3

Rajesh_Pereira
Level 2

Dear all,

I have Netbackup Server 6.0 MP3 running on windows 2003 server. We are planning to upgrade it to 6.5.3 which is the latest. Any idea about the existing licenses and upgrade procedure? Do I need to get new licenses for 6.5 or the existing licenses will work as it is? Is it possible inplace upgrade? any know issues after the upgradation? We have Lotus Domino, Open file, SQl agents all in windows flatform.

Please help me.

5 REPLIES 5

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Welcome to the Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 Upgrade Portal!

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290185.htm

Yes you can upgrade in place.  It shouldn't be too hard, but you'll have a far easier time if you read the upgrade guides first.  Also, always carefully check the O/S, hardware and agent compatibility lists.

Don't go for v6.5.2.  Wait for v6.5.3. 

As for licensing, your v6.0 licences should work with v6.5.   But, to be careful, I would do all the VLicence work first, so that you have eveything to hand.  You can only upgrade your v6.0 licences to v6.5 licences if the software is under support.  It's just another one of those mundane tasks that needs to be done.

Or if you're feeling lazy, get a 60 day temp key from your reseller a few days before you upgrade.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@sdw303 wrote:

As for licensing, your v6.0 licences should work with v6.5. ...  You can only upgrade your v6.0 licences to v6.5 licences if the software is under support.  It's just another one of those mundane tasks that needs to be done.

Applying the 6.5 licences will also 'release' the 'new' options available in 6.5 (e.g. BMR, Client Encryption Option).

Rajesh_Pereira
Level 2
Thanks for the info. Let me workout.

Chriskbr
Level 2

We are currently using Netbackup v 6.0 MP5 on Windows 2003 server and looking to upgrade to 6.5.4 as i believe this is the current release.

I have read documentation, upgrade guide and some issues may exist with log files and global and client attributes.

Has anyone done this in a Windows environment and could prehaps let me know of any potential issues to watch out for, this is quite a heavily utilised backup server so to minimise downtime would like to get answers to most of the questions before jumping into the upgrade.

cheers

Chriskbr
Level 2

We are currently using Netbackup v 6.0 MP5 on Windows 2003 server and looking to upgrade to 6.5.4 as i believe this is the current release.

I have read documentation, upgrade guide and some issues may exist with log files and global and client attributes.

Has anyone done this in a Windows environment and could prehaps let me know of any potential issues to watch out for, this is quite a heavily utilised backup server so to minimise downtime would like to get answers to most of the questions before jumping into the upgrade.

cheers