cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM 3583 Library problems

Jason_Crossle1
Level 2
Has anyone had any problems with an IBM 3583 library with NB5.1 MP4? I am in the middle of an install and after installing the driver set for the library (required for Control Path Failover functionality) everything goes bad. Before installing the driver I am able to scan the devices on the media server (Win2k3SP1) and allocate tape devices and set up the robotic control. After installing the driver set, I can no longer control the library or write to tapes, no longer scan the SCSI buses for devices, or basically do anything with the library or other SCSI devices. According to an IBM utility packaged with the driver, it see the devices and can open them and do SCSI queries via this utility. The utility states that the device file has changed from \\.\Scsi2 to Changer0. I have manually attempted to update via tpconfig and then run robtest. What I get is an abend of ltidtest.exe The firmware in the library is the latest, available as is the firmware in HBA cards, HBA drivers. I can already see IBM's response coming right now. Does anyone know of any way I can log SCSI commands sent to this device file and trap responses? I checked the BPTM log but was unable to find anything of value in there.
4 REPLIES 4

MayurS
Level 6
Hi,

IBM 3583 is working fine with me.
Have you installed the latest Device Mapping file ?
Have you tried Disabling the Tape Device from the Removeable media manager from the Computer Management console ?

Jason_Crossle1
Level 2
I will check the device mapping files. I was under the impression that these were updated when you installed the Maintenance Packs. If that is the case than it should be fairly recent. This situation is somewhat odd. This is the third time I have installed an IBM 3583 (or it's twin brother Adic Scalar 100) buit the first time I have had problems. Are you using the multipathing firmware with the library?

MayurS
Level 6
No.

Jason_Crossle1
Level 2
Ok All, after pulling hair at IBM Product Support, the Control Path Failover mechanism of the IBM TL series libraries will not work with Netbackup on windows or Legatto for that matter. Surprise, Surprise it only works with TSM.
No one there knows if it will work on any of the UX'es, for that matter.