cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported VCB backup shows only file level. Full VM backup not found

Nova
Level 4

I have to restore a full VM machine from a VCB backup taken in a legacy6.5.5  NBU environment.

We are on NBU 7.01 now and backing up VMware guests (all are Windows) using VADP.

The old NBU environment is just serving up the catalog, it has no access to robot, drives etc. Just there until images all expire.

All backups were taken swith snapshot option 3 - Full VM plus file level. We never had any problems whatsoever with restoring at file level, or full VM with .vmdk for DR, all from the single backup.

I imported the image into the current NBU 7.0.1 catalog. When trying to browse for a flashbackup-windows backup from the Windows VMware host, nothing appears. Locating the files from the Normal backup is not problem.

When I browse the old NBU 6..5.5 catalog from the VMware backup host, I can see the Full VM backup (taken using VCB)

When I browse the current NBU 7.0.1 catalog, only the Normal backup is available.

What would be preventing NBU from showing the same thing in the two environments? I did not think a backup image would look any different in a VADP environment compared to the VCB environment where the backup was taken.

I've looked everywhere for an idea on this, Symantec is not getting back to me on the case I opened a week ago.

Any ideas at all would be welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

When you import a virtual machine image, the VM backup type isn't set properly in the image attributes that are created on the master server. You have to manually edit this.

When you imported the image, files were created in the <install dir>\netbackup\db\images\<client_name> directory on your master server corresponding to the client image you imported.

Modify the file listed there that lists the policy name underscore unix date figure that was placed there from the imported image (i.e. policy_name_1303038880) using the text editor of your choice and change the following line:

VM_TYPE 3

It will have been created during the import as type 0 or 1. Set it to type 3 and save it, then reopen the BAR GUI and try to select the VM Image VMDK-level restore.

It should work now.

Let me know if you have any questions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nova
Level 4

My searches did not yield any results, but Symantec support engineer did provide me with the answer.

Page 53 of the Netbackup VMware Admin Guide as well as the following.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63525

This should fix things.

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

When you import a virtual machine image, the VM backup type isn't set properly in the image attributes that are created on the master server. You have to manually edit this.

When you imported the image, files were created in the <install dir>\netbackup\db\images\<client_name> directory on your master server corresponding to the client image you imported.

Modify the file listed there that lists the policy name underscore unix date figure that was placed there from the imported image (i.e. policy_name_1303038880) using the text editor of your choice and change the following line:

VM_TYPE 3

It will have been created during the import as type 0 or 1. Set it to type 3 and save it, then reopen the BAR GUI and try to select the VM Image VMDK-level restore.

It should work now.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nova
Level 4

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your response. You are indeed correct. One small change and I was back in business. I looked pretty hard for an anwer before posting here, without success.

It's nice to have that production Windows 2000 machine restored ;)

regards

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

mark it as the solution so that others can find the answer as well!

thanks!