cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index server for Netbackup Search

Maialen_Zufiaur
Level 4

How can i configure a Index Server? the software is installed with the Media server instalation? or is another software to install?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
First the Index Server needs to be installed on a Madia Server - and to be honest in view of its pre-requisites i would use a dedicated server rather than an existing Media Server The installation is available on the Windows installation media - fire up browser,exe and go to the Installation section where you will see Search Server Software - just run that If the server is not already a Media Server it will run the Media Server installer first and then allow the Search software to be installed immediately at the end of the installation The server must be 2008 R2 64 bit and give it loads of RAM, good CPUs and at least as much disk space as the Master Server as the search database could get as big as the NetBackup catalog and it causes all osrts of issues if it runs out of disk space! Hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
First the Index Server needs to be installed on a Madia Server - and to be honest in view of its pre-requisites i would use a dedicated server rather than an existing Media Server The installation is available on the Windows installation media - fire up browser,exe and go to the Installation section where you will see Search Server Software - just run that If the server is not already a Media Server it will run the Media Server installer first and then allow the Search software to be installed immediately at the end of the installation The server must be 2008 R2 64 bit and give it loads of RAM, good CPUs and at least as much disk space as the Master Server as the search database could get as big as the NetBackup catalog and it causes all osrts of issues if it runs out of disk space! Hope this helps

mgupta
Level 2
Employee

In Netbackup 7.5, we need Media Server and at least 4GB RAM on Windows 2k8 R2 64bit for Index Server Installation. With this We need to install NetBackup Search Software.

We can injstall Netbackup search software on existing Media Server. just we need to be bit careful about the Backup Schedule for this Media Server and Indexing Schedule for this index server, nothing else.

Hope this helps.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The search server uses the Enterprise Vault velocity search engine.

Although it needs to go on a "Media Server" I would not install it on a functioning Media Server as the search engine eats as much RAM and processor as it can take - this would greatly affect a working Media Server.

Use a dedicated Search server that does nothing else - also give it lots of disk space if you index a lot of things (it may well need even more than the NetBackup Master Servers catalog space)

muhanad_daher
Level 6