cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install A Cluster Master Server is greyed out in Netbackup 7.5 Install

Wale
Level 3

Hi Guys,

We are trying to install netbackup 7.5 from 7.0.1 and the option "Install A Cluster Master Server" is greyed out.  

VCS 6 has already been installed.

Server is a Win2008 R2 x64 Standard.

any ideas whay this is happening?

thanks in advance

picture attached.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup can only be clustered when it is a brand new installation (not upgrade).

The structure of the EMM database is different when clustered.

You can also not install a new cluster and then restore the non-clustered EMM database into the cluster. It will fail. (Ask me - I have tried!)

Consulting partners have access to specialized merge utilities that can convert non-clustered database to clustered (see TN in Mouse's post).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mouse

Are you trying to make the existing NBU 7.0.1 clustered ?

It is not possible using the installation procedure, you need help of specialized Symantec Partner that is eligble for Catalog Manipulation

Mouse

Refer to this technote: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

For advanced migrations not covered or prohibited in the documents above, to insure data integrity and seamless operation, operations must be performed by a certified Symantec consultant or Consulting Partner.

Symantec has developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:

• Migration from an existing master server to a NetBackup appliance master server
  • Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered Master Server
  • Renaming of a Master Server or Media Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system (Windows to Linux/Unix or Linux/Unix to Windows)
  • Un-clustering a clustered Master Server

Marianne
Level 6

NetBackup can only be clustered when it is a brand new installation (not upgrade).

The structure of the EMM database is different when clustered.

You can also not install a new cluster and then restore the non-clustered EMM database into the cluster. It will fail. (Ask me - I have tried!)

Consulting partners have access to specialized merge utilities that can convert non-clustered database to clustered (see TN in Mouse's post).

Wale
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

the old enviroment is clustered, using SFWHA 5.1 on win2k3  

we are installing NBU 7.5 on a new SFWHA6.0 on win2K8 R2, so that we can keep operations running while we setup anew

(we have succesfully installed 7.0.1 and migrated the catalogue, the NBU 7.0 GA code also didnt detect a cluster) 

It doesnt seem to detect that VCS is installed

Any ideas?

Mouse

All clustered 7.5 upgrades I performed to date were global clusters and they don't work without EEB (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH185933), it is essentially another installation program that might help you. 

If the EEB above doesn't help, I would suggest to open a support case.

Marianne
Level 6
You will have to uninstall and start from scratch. Was the base cluster config done? Does 'gabconfig -a' show port a and port h? Have you checked the NBU cluster compatibility guide to see if VCS 6 is supported yet? Please also bear in mind that you can only migrate NBU to new hardware using the SAME NBU version.

Wale
Level 3

@Mouse

we have downloaded the EEB in the link you provided already and replace the GA version of "Symantec NetBackup Client.msi" with the version provided in this EEB and re-run the installation but still get the same error message.

Mouse

Can you please provide output for:

gabconfig -a

hastatus -sum

Check whether the WMI service is running. Do you have UAC enabled?