cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large amount of jobs in que. Maximum concurrent Jobs and Disk Pool - What is the best setting?

Les_Denniss
Level 4

Hello

Hope someone could advise – thanks in advance!

I have recently moved all backups to use disk ready for Auto Image Replication to a remote site, however I now have a large amount of jobs queuing. I like to know what you're thoughts would be on our current set up and what settings you would recommend for the storage unit and disk pool? I have reduced the 'Maximum concurrent Jobs' setting from 17 to 15 I have also been toggling with the disk pool Limit I/O Steams setting from unchecked to 3 which made performance worse! I have now increased this to 20, but I am unsure what would be the best setting! All polices backup to disk including incremental changes. The weekly and monthly full backups are only duplicated to tape using Storage Life Cycle Policies.

Our setup is as follows

Version NetBackup 7.6.0.1 All our Clients backup via a dedicated backup LAN 1Gb and full backups are duplicated from disk to tape via fibre.

2 X Media servers with their own 'Media Server Deduplication Pool' - identical setup on each- Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition

Number of policies: 205

Number of Clients: 356  Mixed clients - Windows 2003 - 2008 / Solaris 8 -10 and LINUX

Storage Unit

Maximum concurrent Jobs = 15

Maximum fragment size = 51200

Disk_Pool

Limit I/O Steams = 20 

Disk Configuration

Media Sercer Deduplication Pool 1 - EMC SAN Disk

14+1 RAID 5 = 1 x 25 TB LUN SATA (Media Server 1) --- Which at the Windows Level is 50 TB Concat

14+1 RAID 5 = 1 x 25 TB LUN SATA ( Media Server 1)  --- Which at the Windows Level is 50 TB Concat 

Media Sercer Deduplication Pool 2 - EMC SAN Disk

14+1 RAID 5 = 1 x 25 TB LUN SATA (Media Server 2) --- Which at the Windows Level is 50 TB Concat 

14+1 RAID 5 = 1 x 25 TB LUN SATA ( Media Server 2)   --- Which at the Windows Level is 50 TB Concat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no 'best setting'. 

The following will probably result in total active streams of 15:

Limit I/O Steams = 20 

Performance Tuning is a lengthy process.
Start with both settings set to 20.

Check that bptm log folders exist on both media servers. 
EXamine logs to see what buffer sizes/numbers are used and then at the end of the backups what the end result was - Kbytes/sec and waited for full/empty buffers.

Please bear in mind that 1 Gb network can at best receive data at +- 100 Mb/sec which will limit any hope to see decent performance.

After noting performance with these settings for a couple of days, change settings to 25.
Monitor and record performance.

Making changes in 'baby steps' and recording throughput after each change will enable you to find optimum performance settings for your environment.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Les_Denniss
Level 4

I Hope someone can advise? Thanks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no 'best setting'. 

The following will probably result in total active streams of 15:

Limit I/O Steams = 20 

Performance Tuning is a lengthy process.
Start with both settings set to 20.

Check that bptm log folders exist on both media servers. 
EXamine logs to see what buffer sizes/numbers are used and then at the end of the backups what the end result was - Kbytes/sec and waited for full/empty buffers.

Please bear in mind that 1 Gb network can at best receive data at +- 100 Mb/sec which will limit any hope to see decent performance.

After noting performance with these settings for a couple of days, change settings to 25.
Monitor and record performance.

Making changes in 'baby steps' and recording throughput after each change will enable you to find optimum performance settings for your environment.

Les_Denniss
Level 4

Hi Marianne

Yes the backup network is the main bottle neck we have.

Thank you for your recommendations. I will follow your instructions in baby steps and see what performance improvements I can find! – I now have a better understanding as to where to look!

Thanks again!