cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library Configurations.

belse
Level 5

Hello All Experts,

I was looking for some documents where i can find the below understandings from scratch. 

Barcode Rules, Media ID genaration rules and how to set them up, How to inventory a library etc. Basic stuff ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I don't know what is up then, very sorry.  If you use the contact link you should get some help.

I just registered with a non-symantec email address and got instant access.

Perhaps try again with a different email address ?   You may have to goto the email address to respond to an automated email before you are allowed to login, can't remember for sure.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We have previously referred you to NBU documentation.

All of these topics are well covered in NBU Admin Guide I - the 'basics', the 'why', the 'how', etc.

NBU Admin Guide for Windows, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3653

Please take your time and read though the relevant sections. Ask questions if there is something specific that you do not understand and cannot figure out by comparing the theory in the manuals with your environment.

Links to all manuals for the different NBU versions can be found in 'Handy NBU Links' in my signature.

*** EDIT ***

Just have a look at the topics covered in Chapter 9 of Admin Guide I (link above):

Inventorying robots

This chapter includes the following topics:
About robot inventory
When to inventory a robot
■ About showing a robot's contents
■ Showing the media in a robot
■ About comparing a robot's contents with the volume configuration
■ Comparing media in a robot with the volume configuration
About updating the volume configuration
Updating the volume configuration with a robot's contents
■ Robot inventory options
■ Configuring media settings
About bar codes
Configuring bar code rules
■ Configuring media ID generation rules
■ Configuring media type mappings
■ About the vmphyinv physical inventory utility
■ Example volume configuration updates

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
have a look in the NetBackup 7.5 Administrators Guide which will document these steps. This is the best place to start

some other useful TNs

How to change the Media ID Generation Rule to use the first six characters of the barcode versus the last six.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38876

Configuring bar code rules on UNIX/Linux

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Official Symantec eLearning, now available externally - registering is required.

free eLibrary

belse
Level 5

Hello Martin,

Is it completely free as i can see its asking for payment options and shipping address?

Marianne
Level 6

Please go through the relevant sections in the manual. It is in plain English with step-by-step instructions.

And we KNOW the manuals are 100% free of charge...

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is free, you register but the amount is set as $00.00

belse
Level 5

Hi Martin,

Seriously I didnot get the concept of this elibrary which you had shared with me? I tried to check what is free inside it but didnot find any free course material. I dont think anything is free inside :(

I dont want to spend money on any training by symantec :( Is there any site on symantec where we could find videos of netbackup installation, upgradation, troubleshooting etc for free?)

Members of the Symantec eLibrary receive free access to hundreds of regularly updated on-demand web-based training modules covering the breadth and depth of Symantec's product portfolio. 15-75 minute module sessions cover "Install, Configure and Deploy," "Manage and Administer" and "Troubleshooting Techniques" in detail. The eLibrary is ideal for supplementing classroom training and/or providing training to employees who cannot travel or afford time away from the office. 

Membership is free so register today

Marianne
Level 6

Your post is about 'Barcode Rules, Media ID genaration rules and how to set them up, How to inventory a library etc. Basic stuff ?

We have pointed you 5 days ago to sufficient NBU documentation to understand all of these topics.

Can we ask if you had a look at any of the links to the Admin Guide or URLs in revaroo's post?

You may want to start another discussion about Symantec eLibrary. Probably best to ask those questions in this 'General Symantec' forum:https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/inside-symantec/forums/general-symantec

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Seriously, I am amazed.

If I post something up saying there are training modules available, do you really think I might be joking ?

Here is an example of a couple of the modules, there are too many available to list here.

I copy/ pasted this from inside the site having logged in, Note you have to use Internet Explorer,

"

I dont want to spend money on any training by symantec :( Is there any site on symantec where we could find videos of netbackup installation, upgradation, troubleshooting etc for free?)"

Yes there is, I've just posted it.

I'm amazed how people don't want to spend money on official training - the quickest way to break ANY backup environment (from any vendor) is to dive in with no training - absolute madness on the part of the whatever the company is.  Investing in backups doesn't just mean software and hardware.

I have seen mistakes due to lack of training that have lost hugh amonts of data - if this happens and the company has to legally meet various audit legislation that leaves the company and in some cases the employees in a very dodgy legal position.

• NBU 7.5 for UNIX: Install, Config & Deploy: Configuring Tape Storage (7 of 18)
    In this module, you are introduced to NetBackup storage device and media concepts. You learn how to configure tape devices and media and how to verify your tape storage.
    Launch Module

• NBU 7.5 for UNIX: Install, Config & Deploy: Configuring Tape Storage – Demo (8 of 18)
    In this lab, we confirm that tape devices are visible to the operating system of NetBackup media server. We configure tape devices and storage units using the Configure Storage Devices wizard. We configure volume pools and perform robot inventory operation to create barcode rules and Media ID generation settings, and to create tape volume entries in the NetBackup databases.
    Launch Module

Will_Restore
Level 6

Thanks for this tip.  I find these modules useful and have previously attended classroom training.

belse & others would do well to register and go through the modules (absolutely free!)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You are welcome. As you can see, there are many many topics covered so I am sure you may find a few bits you haven't seen before ...

belse
Level 5

Hello Martin,

Thanks so much for the information. Pls help me :(

I have been trying to find the training videos for hours but in vain. Instead i find some paid service.

I am attaching the screenshots of the e- library.

belse
Level 5

Hello Martin,

I am attaching the screenhots of one by one what i am doing.

After the 1 screenshot i log into the e library, and get the message as 3rd screenshot.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you goto this link

http://go.symantec.com/elibrary

You should see :

pic1.JPG

Then, when you log in you should see

pic2.JPG

Here you select the product and then you see the different training modules available.

If you do not see this, use the 'Contact us' link to contact Symantec to resolve the issue.

I cannot image why it's not working, I used the same link that I posted above.

belse
Level 5

Hi Martin,

I dont know what is happening.

It didnot let me in with Sysmantec connect credentials. So i tried creating new account with the same credentials. Not it says "

Error Encountered  

(116) You have not subscribed for the subscription Number 'AT0900' 

I dont know what went wrong.

Marianne
Level 6

Martin cannot help you with your eLibrary issue. Please see this part of his post above:

If you do not see this, use the 'Contact us' link to contact Symantec to resolve the issue. 

Please get back to your original query in the opening post and see our recommendations to answer that query. 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I don't know what is up then, very sorry.  If you use the contact link you should get some help.

I just registered with a non-symantec email address and got instant access.

Perhaps try again with a different email address ?   You may have to goto the email address to respond to an automated email before you are allowed to login, can't remember for sure.

belse
Level 5

Hi Martin.

U could have stopped giving me reply by providing customer care information long back. I really appreciate your cutomer oriented approach. Yes, it did  work for me. I marked a mail to Suport team and they provided the solution as you said. you are one of those who work beyond the call of duty to answer such issue thank you so much Martin. 

I hope u must be enjoying your job extensively by going extra mile to support your customers and understand what the other person really needs:)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Thank you belse, for your kind comments.

Hopefully now, you are able to see the different NBU modules available in the eLearning site - hopefully you will find them useful.

The majority of answers though, can often be found with a little searching through the manuals.

M