cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License for Bare Metal Restore

Zigoze
Level 4
Hi...

What license is needed for enabling Bare Metal Restore?

Here is what I have licensed... can I dor BMR?

SYMC NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE SERVER 7.0 WIN/LXN/SOL64 1 SERVER TIER 2 STD LIC ACAD BAND S
SYMC NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DATABASE PACK 7.0 WIN/LXN/SOL64 1 SERVER TIER 2 STD LIC ACAD BAND S
SYMC NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE CLIENT 7.0 WIN/LXN/SOL64 1 SERVER TIER 2 STD LIC ACAD BAND S
SYMC NETBACKUP STANDARD CLIENT 7.0 XPLAT 1 SERVER STD LIC ACAD BAND S
SYMC NETBACKUP OPTION LIBRARY BASED TAPE DRIVE 7.0 XPLAT 1 DRIVE STD LIC ACAD BAND S
SYMC NETBACKUP OPTION SHARED STORAGE OPTION 7.0 XPLAT 1 DRIVE STD LIC ACAD BAND S

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Found the documentation in Release Impact Bulletin  (This will be applicable in NBU 7 as well):

Several significant changes have been made to NetBackup licensing that consolidate and simplify the offerings. The following list provides three key examples of these changes, but is not a omprehensive list of all licensing changes.
  • NetBackup Standard Client
The NetBackup Standard Client replaces the NetBackup Protect Server client license. In addition, PureDisk Client, Bare Metal Restore and the Client Encryption Option are also included in the Standard Client license.
Please note that these features are still separately installed but enabled with a single Standard Client license key.
  • Bare Metal Restore (BMR) is now included in the Standard Client and is no longer available for separate purchase. If you have purchased BMR you will now get this feature in your Standard Client license.
  • Client Encryption Option is now included in the Standard Client and is no longer available for separate purchase. If you have purchased the Client Encryption Option you will now get this feature in your Standard Client license. Please note this does not include nor impact the Media Server Encryption Option.

I can confirm that I have configured BMR on a 6.5 master without any BMR license key...

The confusing part is that not all documention was updated - even Release Notes mentions 'As a NetBackup licensed option....'

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
"...
Licensing BMR on a UNIX or Linux system
The BMR master server is installed when you install the NetBackup master server.
No separate installation is required. However, you must enter a license key to
activate BMR
and then create the BMR database.
Your license key may be a single key for the base NetBackup product and all
NetBackup add-ons that you install, including BMR. Alternatively, you may have
a separate license key specifically for the BMR option.

If you entered your BMR license key when you installed NetBackup, BMR was
activated then. If not, use the following procedure to enter a license key.
In a cluster environment, license theBMRmaster server on all nodes in the cluster
that host a NetBackup master server.
To verify if a BMR license key was entered previously, perform the following
procedure and list the license keys already entered.
To license BMR on a UNIX or Linux system
1 Log on as the root user on the system on which the NetBackup master server
is installed.
2 Enter the following command to list and add keys:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/get_license_key
..."

and further:

"...
Licensing the BMR master server on a Windows system
The BMR master server is installed when you install the NetBackup master server.
No separate installation is required. However, you must enter a license key to
activate the BMR master server
and then set up the BMR database.
..."

It's not a separately purchased option, although it was a few versions back, hence the 'confusion' (even in the guides!) regarding licensing. So maybe your base license includes BMR?

For reference: Listing of Symantec NetBackup (tm) 7.0 Manuals

Marianne
Level 6

I don't understand why Symantec have not yet removed that line from the manual - it was taken across from pre-6.5 manuals when BMR was separately licensed.

When 6.5 came out, we convinced a customer who needed BMR to upgrade to NBU 6.5, since BMR came for free since 6.5. I was the lucky one to fly down, do the upgrade and configure BMR. While doing preparations, I read the same section in the manual. I was totally horrified reading about the licensing requirements. We contacted Symantec at the time who assured us in writing that it's most definately included and no separate license key is required.

I will post again if I can find written proof...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
One thing I can confirm we have separate license keys for BMR in our 6.5 environment - but it is very likely that this is a throw over from our 4.5 & 5.1 days.

Marianne
Level 6

Found the documentation in Release Impact Bulletin  (This will be applicable in NBU 7 as well):

Several significant changes have been made to NetBackup licensing that consolidate and simplify the offerings. The following list provides three key examples of these changes, but is not a omprehensive list of all licensing changes.
  • NetBackup Standard Client
The NetBackup Standard Client replaces the NetBackup Protect Server client license. In addition, PureDisk Client, Bare Metal Restore and the Client Encryption Option are also included in the Standard Client license.
Please note that these features are still separately installed but enabled with a single Standard Client license key.
  • Bare Metal Restore (BMR) is now included in the Standard Client and is no longer available for separate purchase. If you have purchased BMR you will now get this feature in your Standard Client license.
  • Client Encryption Option is now included in the Standard Client and is no longer available for separate purchase. If you have purchased the Client Encryption Option you will now get this feature in your Standard Client license. Please note this does not include nor impact the Media Server Encryption Option.

I can confirm that I have configured BMR on a 6.5 master without any BMR license key...

The confusing part is that not all documention was updated - even Release Notes mentions 'As a NetBackup licensed option....'

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

So the upshot is that Zigoze should be able to run BMR with the licenses available.

Confusion over (can we have an emoticon for crossed-fingers?)

Will_Restore
Level 6
We had a system upgraded from 5.x to 6.5 and BMR was NOT supported until we added a new license key.  Support initially said separate license was not needed but after troubleshooting determined it was.

Zigoze
Level 4
Thank you for all your replies. Very helpful.

David_McMullin
Level 6

You may need to upgrade your key - a key for pre 6.5 may not enable BMR, if you get an upgraded key it will work fine.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
A lot of functionality for new versions is not 'released' until the license key is 'upgraded'.

kannanor
Not applicable

I have a problem in getting bare metal restore option in the installed application.
please provide me a solution.
I added the license its showing bare metal restore in licensce key.

Marianne
Level 6
The original post has been solved. Please start a new thread. Remember to include O/S version when you create a new post.
Please also include steps taken so far.