cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing of new client installation

Shahrul_Nizam
Level 3

Hi All,

I am new here. I have a question. If I have a new client needed to be backup, do I need a license for the installation? Assuming its a standard client installation connected to the existing Media Server.

Please assist / advise ...

Thanks in advance ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Except when you have Capacity license. Here you license the amount of data on all clients (in TB). All agents and options are included and any amount of servers and clients.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6
No license keys are installed on the client. Standard Client license is only added on the master, but NBU does not keep count. Licensing of clients is just a piece of paper (or pdf) to be legally compliant.

Shahrul_Nizam
Level 3

Marianne, what do you mean by 'NBU does not keep count' ... does the NBU do not keep count of how many client or how many license?

Let say I have a new backup project. It required one media server and it will be 5 client connected to that media server via LAN. Beside of Ent Server License for the media server, do i need to purchase a Standard Client license? If yes, do i need to purchase 5 Standard Client License or only 1 license?

Thanks ...

Marianne
Level 6

If you look at installed license keys on a master server (bpminlicense or GUI) you will see that only the license key and the description is recorded - no quantity.

Annual license audit for maintenance renewal purposes is a manual task.

NBU keeps track of unique client names used in policies, but if you have a policy for client1 and another policy for client1.fqdn, the names are no longer unique and are counted as 2 clients.
Likewise for clustered clients. Names used in policies are normally nodename1, nodename2 and virtualname.
NBU will see these as 3 different client names.

This is why I said that license audit is a manual process - you need to know your environment well enough to look at the list of unique names produced by bpplclients and count client1 and client1.fqdn as 1 and the 3 names for cluster nodes as 2 clients.

The above examples is why NBU does not record license quantities and does not stop working if quantity is exceeded.

Shahrul_Nizam
Level 3

Marianne, thanks for the explanation. Really appreciated it.

As for my second question "Let say I have a new backup project. It required one media server and it will be 5 client connected to that media server via LAN. Beside of Ent Server License for the media server, do i need to purchase a Standard Client license? If yes, do i need to purchase 5 Standard Client License or only 1 license?"

Can you advise on that? And 1 Standard license can run up to how many client?

Thanks in advance ...

Marianne
Level 6

Media Server needs Enterprise Server license (that includes Standard Client license for backing up itself) along with device-related licenses.

Each client needs Standard Client license (QTY = 5) which must be added to the master server.

You need one Standard Client license per network client (I thought that was clear from my examples?).
If any database agent will be used to backup a client, you will need apropriate Application and Database license per db client.

Best to discuss license requirements with your reseller. Ask them for the Customer version of the Licensing Guide. (Partners/resellers are not allowed to post these docs on a public forum.)

Shahrul_Nizam
Level 3

Marianne,

So thats mean I have to purchase 5 Standard Client License.

So in future, if I have a new client, I need to purchase 1 Standard Client License. Right?

Marianne
Level 6

100% correct.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Except when...

Shahrul_Nizam
Level 3

Marianne, thanks a lot ...

Jim Dalton, except when? Please share with us ...

Marianne
Level 6
Except when you have Capacity license. Here you license the amount of data on all clients (in TB). All agents and options are included and any amount of servers and clients.