cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit has been reached for the logical resource

RCBrown_DKH
Level 4

I have a question as I try to understand my NetBackup enviroment.  I am using Netbackup 7.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.  When looking at my duplication jobs I notice a lot of 'Queued' jobs that have a state of ' Limit has been reached for the logical resource'.  I have attached a screen shot of what i am talking about.  If someone could explain this in greater detail that would be great.  Also, it would be great to know if these jobs are actually getting written.  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

e.g.

"Limit has been reached for the logical resource server.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.UNIX_backups"

is the maximum number of jobs that has been set for the policy "UNIX_backups" - a 'logical' resource as opposed to a 'physical' resource limit.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As the jobs you show are duplications it indicates that the storage unit used by the Lifecycle Policy in place has run out of available drives to use.

So if you have 1 tape drive avaialble (based on the storage unit / group specified in the Lifecycle Policy) then after one job is active the others will be queued.

Duplication jobs do not use multiplexing so one duplication per drive runs.

There are ways to tune the number of duplication jobs that run as well as other matters relating to your Lifecycle Duplications - just Google "LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS"

Hope this helps

RCBrown_DKH
Level 4

Thank you for your help.  I have attached a Tape Summary.  Am I looking it correctly that on our Server Puck2 that out of the 9 media attached to Puck2, 8 are full and this is possibly where my problem is stemming from?

RCBrown_DKH
Level 4

BPTM log files i found out on the media server have used up all the space on the local drive.  I know that is big piece of the problem now.  What causes these log files to get so big?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please - one issue at a time.

Open one of these queued jobs. Copy the TEXT in the details tab and post it here.

About media summary - best to run this report in Verbose mode (select verbose tick box).
You will notice that there seems to be 16 non-active (available?) media. So, I don't see issue here...

bptm log - you need to show us what you see.
Please post exact entry you see.
Also post full bptm log as attachment.
If 'all available space' has been used up, backup should fail with an error, not queue.

RCBrown_DKH
Level 4

This issue is now fixed.  After clearing some 20GB of space by removing a few old BPTM log files the jobs ran correctly last night.  The drive where the Log and Temp files are written to was full.  Thank you all for your help.