cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load balancing for multiple SLPs

watcharapongs
Level 3

Hi everyone,

We currently have 3 Netbackup media servers, media1, media2 and media2, all media servers have tape library attached, own puredisk diskpool and SLP configured on them to migrate data from disk to tape.

Due to many backup policies so we have to distribute the policies among 3 SLPs manually to balance the server performance consumption and disk space utilization on diskpools.

Is there a solution to create a group of SLP to automatically select which SLP to backup and duplicate data to tape?

1 REPLY 1

Genericus
   VIP   

The answer will be determined by whether the media servers can see all the storage. If each media server can see the storage then you can set up a storage group containing all the media servers and round robin them. If you are setting an alternate read host, you are sunk.

I have this same issue, and use the alt read host to set the media server, and I had to set up specific SLP for each media server. 

Since I wanted to load balance the intermediate storage as well, I ended up making multiple SLP, like storage1-mediaserver1, storage1-mediaserver2, storage1-mediaserver3, 

storage2-mediaserver1, storage2-mediaserver1, storage2-mediaserver3.

For me, the pain point is the alt read host, there is no way (as far as I know) to tie the storage and alt read host so you optimize the traffic. 

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS