cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS-SQL backups automatic restart on status code 1

Richard_Senda2
Level 4
Hello,

I have noticed some difference in behaviour between Oracle RMAN backups and MS-SQL backups when using the NetBackup agents.

In an Oracle RMAN backup, if a stream from RMAN should fail (for example with status code 25) but all of the other streams complete with status code 0, then NetBackup appears to fail the parent job with the same code that the failed stream had (example code 25).  In this event, I have noticed that NetBackup automatically restarts the parent job to restart the entire RMAN backup.

However, this doesn't appear to be happening with MS-SQL jobs.  I have several that run MS-SQL backup jobs that have multiple streams, 1 to backup each database within an instance.  If the backup of one particular database in a job fails (e.g. the backup of msdb), then the MS-SQL backup job completes with status code 1 - partially successful and hence does not automatically restart. 

I would like to change this behaviour so that it functions in the same way as the Oracle agent - the failure of a stream fails the parent job which causes it to be restarted.  How can I achieve this?

Many thanks,

Richard.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES 3

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
Have a look at the script you start. If the returncode of this script is 0, the NetBackup job will also get a status 0. You have to pass errors from the streams you start to this script.

Will_Restore
Level 6
You can't expect Netbackup to fix Microsoft.  :^)